SAS denied boarding compensation

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

VintageDom
    Participant

On a flight from St Petersburg to Copenhagen, we were asked if we would consider taking a later flight since this one had been over booked. We were offered 500 Euros as compensation.
    The SAS representative explained that we would be issued with a voucher for 500 Euros, which we would present at any SAS office and have the 500 Euros credited to our credit card.
    We have been into the SAS office in Sydney who said that if the voucher were exchanged for cash, the value reduced to 50%. This was never explained by the SAS representative in St Petersburg.
    The Sydney office contacted St Petersburg, who insists that the terms and conditions were fully explained.
    We have written to SAS in Sweden, they apologise for any misunderstanding.
    There was no misunderstanding, since it was never explained or brought to our attention.
    9 of our group were affected, 7 have chosen to simply give in!
    I would appreciate any sugesstions on how to receive what was promised, since SAS and it’s representatives have not behaved with the honesty and integrity that is written into their Code of Conduct.

Senator
    Participant

While I can understand your frustration, I believe your experience will come back to one human error I am afraid. I travel frequently with SAS, and about once a year I volunteer to leave a fully booked flight. The SAS coupons clearly state that 100% of the value can be applied to future travel on SAS, and 50% of the value is redeemable against cash.

By the looks of it, the Russian based agent provided misleading information.

Assuming you live permanently down under, I suspect you will not have a chance to use SAS again for a while, and would like the cash instead.

I also suspect that the gate agent in Russia was not Scandinavian Ground Service (SGC) but rather a local sourced handling agent. My experience is they cover many airlines, so forget details on each one.

Legally, I suspect you end up with “word-against-word” and as the voucher states the rules, you are in a no-win situation. Sorry!

JackyLek
    Participant

Is state quite clearly in the voucher so Im afraid U will not get much with this case, but 250 Euro or 500 Euro is quite good deal . If U want to get as much CASH out from the voucher why not sell it on Ebay ?
    If a person that plan to use SAS and can get 500 EURO cheaper by only pay ex 400 Euro … U will win and that person will win … Good Luck

VintageDom
    Participant

Hello Senator,
    thank you for your reply. Yes I do live down under and there are no SAS operated flights from here to anywhere. The information in the coupon is as you have said. The problem being, that until you get the coupon you are not made aware of this. More than once I said to the SAS representative “I take the voucher to the office and 500 Euros is put onto my credit card” Each time he replied “Yes”.

I will be a whole lot more careful if this ever happens to me again.

VintageDom
    Participant

Hello JackyLek,
    not a bad idea. Have never used eBay. I suppose it’s never too late to learn.
    What about you Senator? Interested? LOL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls