Salad and soup

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

I have been wondering recently about salad on planes. Is it now just a cost cutting move or does anyone remember a really good salad? And as for soup I had it once in Euro Business class on Alitlia once (80’s) is it a good idea for euro biz?

DavidSmith2
    Participant

When I see the food options on a flight, my first thought is how it will look when splattered down my shirt-front and tie. So soup and spag bol are usually off the menu. I think I was given soup on a flight in the last year or so, which suggests it was BA, but maybe I just dreamed that?

In almost all cases, whether short/long haul, business/economy, the salad seems to have become simply a way of filling some space on the tray at the cost of around 10p. It’s rather like the half tomato and piece of watercress on a Beefeater meal from the 1980s – adds colour and fills the plate but you’re not expected to actually eat it!

cwoodward
    Participant

Do people still don a tie on aircraft – it seems that they do.

I have had excellent soups and salads on Asian airlines and with Qantas and Air NZ.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1116887]

Same on SQ in F and AF in La Premiere. Delish.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Definitely had soup in J before. Qatar springs to mind.

Domestic F in US would often have a salad option as the other choice to a hot meat based meal (to which you sometimes had the option to add chicken or prawn to).

So wouldn’t agree it’s necessarily a cost cutting measure.

GivingupBA
    Participant

I won’t be surprised if airlines find it more difficult, and expensive, to serve soup or salad in economy class. (Business class is different in my opinion – it will be served there, and salad at least is always served when I take business class long haul).

Inquisitive
    Participant

[postquote quote=1116890]

Good airlines like SQ serve good salads even in economy class.
    These are securely packed in plastic bowl and there is no issue to have that with a fork without any mess.

In business class, I had many excellent salads and soups in SQ, BA (earlier) and United.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Just occured to me that there was actually no soup option on the recent flights i’ve had in business class on LH, EK, KL & AF in last 2yrs (even before Covid). Not even on longer flights like ZRH/FRA-GRU. Just a tiny salad.
    The last soup i had was in BA F.
    I find myself eating more in lounges as i find food on flights rather disappointing. Though i found food on AF surprisingly good of late.

2 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I had some nice F soups on BA -Qantas too, but sometimes not so hot as they use flasks. SQ and CX I seem to remember had nice Asian soups. Salads I usually avoid as I like my own versions and mostly on the plane they are not up to much, no matter what class – the BA salads offered as main meals were horrible.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1116887]

People have been rude for years about CX’s catering but the one thing I thought they always did really well was the salad

I seem to recall rferguson commenting years ago in a thread about choices of first course and commenting that CX had it right by having no choice because it was *always* a really nice salad. And (as in so many other things) he was spot on.

canucklad
    Participant

Soup for me is a no go , never mind a mile up in the air but also staying at hotels . Absolutely nothing compares to proper chunky home made soup like your mum used to make.

On the other hand , Salad can be a joy if airlines use imagination, fresh ingredients and most importantly of all maintain crunchability!!!

Too many airlines use salad as a insipid soggy space filler that inevitably gets left or used to create a roll filling for later on. the exception being Air Canada who back in the day served up a great Caesars . The secret to success is the management of the tomatoes !!

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1117677]

Are you saying AC put tomatoes in their Caeser salad?

lostantipod
    Participant

I often order the soup on long haul with QR or EY – usually very good and because I am mindful of keeping my fluids up. Which I then destroy with another glass of wine 😉

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1124883]

Sounds like a perfectly balanced diet! lol

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls