Safety Video

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

It would seen that the overall consensus on the BA comic relief Video was its not fit for purpose, looks like TK are trying to outdo BA, although i found the English on Tk’s easier to understand!

capetonianm
    Participant

It’s not bad, it’s different, and in my view more fit for its purpose than the BA effort, and even though it’s US ‘English’ it is far easier to understand than BA’s – even as a native English speaker I battled with some of the accents, apart from Joanna Lumley’s whose English is a delight to hear.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Thanks for that Steve, it was OK, and I thought it was better than BA as you said, and I liked Batman in it. I thought the English was too fast for non-native speakers though (subtitles would’ve helped a lot), and that it was too long. Amusing though – it’ll probably keep people’s attention a bit longer. (Edit, I was writing this before I could see capetonianm’s reply)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I still hold the view if safety videos are presented as comedy, they will be treated as comedy.

Interestingly on my 2 short haul sectors this week on BA, the safety video was done manually as the overhead TV’s on the airbus are being taken out of action.

Seeing a professionally executed safety video, presented with a degree of gravitas, by a professional crew and in a perfectly acceptable time period, IMHO, comes across in am much better and more secure basis…

.. there again, what do I know, I turning 57 next week… 🙁

4 users thanked author for this post.

Gold-2K
    Participant

And if you don’t like the BA video, then brace yourself as episode 2 is rolling out. This time it’s Michael Caine, Johanna Lumley, Olivia Coleman and David Walliams. It was on my US flight this week!

……. at least I recognised the cast.

And is better than the first one, of maybe I’m just relieved I don’t have to watch Rob Brydon anymore 😂🤭

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Ah Rob Brydon a legend in his own lunchtime

EU_Flyer
    Participant

It’s a very interesting point many raise about when a ‘fun’ safety video stops being about safety and really becomes about entertainment. It also begs the question of what passengers – who may be elderly, may not have great eyesight (to distinguish lego characters holding lego oxygen masks), don’t understand English or the native language and for whom this kind of pop culture may not be part of their life experience – think of these types of videos. Do they understand them?

I hope this doesn’t appear ageist of discriminatory but I wonder if these videos are becoming far too fun and cool for their own good.

JJ
    Participant

I really like it and nice to have a bit of fun put back into flying. I like the way that that for the important bits (like the oxygen masks) it quiets down, and stops being jokey to get the serious message accross.

Yes we could Nitpick at the small details but anything that makes someone sit up and pay attention for once is a good thing as people like Lego!

traveldoc1
    Participant

I’m even older than Martyn, bu have to say that I am far more likely to watch and pay attention to an amusing safety video than the standard one (“the features on this plane may differ from those you have flown on previously” – really!!)

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=880663]It’s a very interesting point many raise about when a ‘fun’ safety video stops being about safety and really becomes about entertainment. It also begs the question of what passengers – who may be elderly, may not have great eyesight (to distinguish lego characters holding lego oxygen masks), don’t understand English or the native language and for whom this kind of pop culture may not be part of their life experience – think of these types of videos. Do they understand them?

I hope this doesn’t appear ageist of discriminatory but I wonder if these videos are becoming far too fun and cool for their own good.[/quote]

I get increasingly annoyed at companies trying to be “cool” or “down with it” with their wording in circumstances that clearly don’t warrant it. This weeks latest one for me came from EON. I moved away from them (and saved £1600 a year in the process) their response at losing a customer
    “We’d love you to stay” (translaton “as a long term customer we value your business” or “we will miss ripping you off”
    “have we got the wrong end of the stick” (translation “you have requested to close your account, is that correct)
    Really? Seriously? Do they expect that dumbed down English like that will convince me to stay….

capetonianm
    Participant

I also detest this ‘new’ style of writing to customers, and have recently closed down a number of accounts with companies who communicate with me in this way, often ending with ‘thank you for reaching out to us’ which makes me want to retch.

However, we may be of a generation that does not appreciate this garbage speak, whereas the majority of customers may be of an age that finds this type of language acceptable, or ‘cool’, to put it in their words.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Daytripper
    Participant

On my BA flight from LHR earlier tonight, I saw the new v2 “UK actors participating” BA safety demo video. It follows the same cringeworthy theme as the one that many of you will have seen. But this time featuring different UK actors, Michael Caine included.

“Confused” is the most polite way of describing it.

Having shuddered at instalment 1 of “Asian ponytailed director doesn’t get the gist whilst directing the BA safety video” on at least 50 BA flights over the past 18 months, at least I understand the context of v2.

The new instalment follows the same (embarrassingly un-funny) theme.

But for occasional travellers, who didn’t watch v1 of the BA safety video, there must be only one (confused) conclusion…

WTF BA…

Inthesandpit
    Participant

Capetonianm – I am with you there, only the other day I received a call whilst in the UK with some ‘oik’ speaking in Estuary inglish (spelling intended) opening the conversation with “hiya (Christian name) I can call you that – right” – er no you cannot I replied, followed by stunned silence. needless to say the call was short and not so sweet. Now my UK bank First Direct are politeness and respectful personified. I know this is off topic but essentially I agree with the other posters who find the comedy element in safety videos off putting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls