Safety demonstration

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• alainboy56
    Participant

I also only recognise half of the cast. But that’s not really the point, as I no longer live in UK nor thankfully watch British TV.
    The real point is that assuming half of the travellers on any BA flights are foreigners, not only will they not recognise the cast (not that that matters), but also may/probably not understand the slang/jokes/innuendo/accents and the safety aspects of the video will surely be lost.

Qatar Airways have been different for some time, the latest having a mixture of football players past and present in a fake changing room situation. Previous ones have included FC Barcelona and were particularly noteworthy especially when a girl started swooning and almost fainting at the site of Gerard Pique (Mr Shakira to some), as he entered the Arrivals Hall (hence needing oxygen from the drop down masks)

capetonianm
    Participant

I just watched this in the News section of BT, the new Qantas safety video :

I think it’s brilliant. It’s interesting, well made, clear, no stupid attempts at humour, and although it’s on the long side, as QF’s flights are mostly long haul, that’s fine.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A very interesting and informative film about Qantas through the ages…

But as a safety briefing, over 8 minutes long, I think most passengers will lose interest, especially after they have seen it a couple of times.

Everything needed can be presented in a sharp and direct briefing…. 2 to 3 minutes max.

It’s a safety briefing not an Oscar nomination intended short style film production!!

cwoodward
    Participant

Martyn I fully agree with you.
    A mildly interesting bit of chest thumping first time around but mind numbing boring thereafter.

For sure any and every Qantas traveller will switch off totally after a couple rounds of this 8 minute Qantas commercial thus defeating totally any value as a safety briefing.

Perhaps there is a good case for legislation to govern the time and content of ‘safety briefings’.
    As said on this forum several times previously over the years there is a good case to revert to the ‘live’ safety briefings given by senior cabin crew using a prepared script.

The most effective briefing would always be live by the captain supported by in-cabin demonstration but for many reasons this would be difficult to achieve.

This Qantas effort falls well short of conforming to the the recommendations of CASA (casa .gov.au) who are the Australian regulatory authority. In fact as far as I can judge it fails to comply with any the recommendations.

‘Cabin crew members should craft carefully the first impression they make on passengers.
    Leadership and credibility should be established immediately by confident behaviour, a pleasant demeanour and showing professional knowledge of aircraft safety features.
    Appropriate eye contact and body language should reinforce the spoken message.
    Cabin crew members should practice consistently good public-speaking techniques such as thoughtful timing, pacing and articulation of words understandable by a diverse audience.
    Cabin crew should show enthusiasm for the subject during every safety briefing.
    Crew should avoid hurried safety briefings and work to resolve any systemic problems involving insufficient time to conduct briefings effectively.
    Flight and cabin crew may benefit from recurrent training or other reinforcement on the importance of high-quality safety briefings.”

With this 8 minute commercial Qantas seem to have abdicated all responsibility for the crew to adhere to its guidelines.

Good case perhaps for regulation as opposed to toothless recommendation.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=992029][/postquote]

WOW! very good and I also find myself agreeing with Martyn way way to long, loved it the first time but if I had to watch that more than a couple of times I would go crazy….

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls