Safety demonstration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Found this video that I found funny enough to share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AE_hjOLDtU

Then why not making a thread with great ones you might see here and there…

7 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Brilliant. It would get people’s attention, every word and message was clear, and it would have created a great atmosphere on board.

Cf. that sad and pathetic BA safety demo!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Alsacienne
    Participant

Don’t know how to add to the ‘thanks’ but THANKS all the same! Delightful!

RoyJones
    Participant

Capetonian,

Cf. that sad and pathetic BA safety demo!

I watched the reaction to the BA video – as opposed to the usually 20% to 35% of people who watch a normal safety demo or video they attracted 70%+. Okay if you are on Ba flights week in week out they become boring. But if safety is important those BA videos led the way in getting infrequent flyers to watch.

4 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Its all very well having a jokey style safety demo, unless of course it’s in a language you don’t understand, where innuendos are not understood. The BA manual safety demo is very good, direct, to the point and message given. The video is way too long and is filled with jokes non English people simply wont understand.

Until BA cabin crew are allowed to chastise passengers for talking or making phone calls during the safety demo – how can any passenger give the safety briefing the seriousness and attention is rightly deserves.

I am not in favour of a safety briefing that makes people laugh – I am in favour of one that MAKES people listen and to give it the respect it deserves.

5 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

as opposed to the usually 20% to 35% of people who watch a normal safety demo or video they attracted 70%+

I’m not sure I’d agree with those figures, and saying that is quite unscientific. People could be listening even if they appear not to be, and I would say unless somebody is obviously not paying attention, e.g talking or reading or has headphones on, then they might well be paying attention.

It’s also quite possible to take it in even with eyes closed. I was in an excruciatingly boring meeting once and had my eyes closed, deliberately to make a point. Someone said something and then said : “But ‘x’ (me) isn’t listening.” I piped up : “I listen with my ears, not my eyes” and I then repeated everything that had been said in the previous few minutes! A knack I used to have!

On some carriers the volume is so high you have little option but to listen, and I’ve seen CC ask someone to listen if they clearly aren’t.

I still think the BA video is indefensible.

rferguson
    Participant

I’d say from personal observation the engagement with the BA safety video is much better than it used to be. I agree with other have said about it being very ‘british’ in humour. Many international passengers wouldn’t get the jokes/innuendo and the subtitles are obviously a literal translation so non english speaking people even less so. Though I guess this would be same for many ‘funny’ or tongue in cheek safety videos. Saying that, the majority of the cast of the BA video would be familiar to customers from all over the western world.

The most important aspect I find in a safety video actually is how the crew conduct themselves while it plays. I think it looks unprofessional when there is zero cabin presence by the crew when the video is playing. Some airlines, the crew are milling about, or undertaking non-safety related tasks while the video is playing. On Philippine Airlines I actually had my meal order taken while the video played which undermined the importance of it.

esselle
    Participant

Many years ago on a BA flight, the Captain announced the safety briefing was about to be held. He then said “If my family were on board I would insist that they watch it carefully, and I would ask that you do the same”.

It certainly seemed to have the desired effect.

capetonianm
    Participant

Saying that, the majority of the cast of the BA video would be familiar to customers from all over the western world.

Sorry, but I beg to differ! Or I am in a minority because I don’t watch the type of programmes/films that these ‘celebrities’ appear in?
    Maybe it’s just me, but I doubt it.

I’ve looked up the cast of both productions.

I can recognise 5 out of 17 :
    Sir Michael Caine
    Joanna Lumley
    Gillian Anderson
    Rowan Atkinson
    Gordon Ramsay

I have heard of, but would not recognise, by which I mean I have no idea what they look like :
    Olivia Colman
    David Walliams
    Chiwetel Ejiofor
    Ian McKellen
    Thandie Newton

I had never heard of :
    Asim Chaudhry
    Jourdan Dunn
    Naomie Harris
    Jim Broadbent
    Rob Brydon
    Warwick Davis
    Jess Glynne

2 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=987343][/postquote]

I disagree Martyn, this guy it seemed had the whole aircraft engaged in what was a lighthearted but meaningful demonstration of the safety features, the fact is on most aircraft its mundane and people dont pay attention or look, so add a little brevity and it seemed the whole aircraft was engaged, which is why I dont see the issue!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=987373]it seemed had the whole aircraft engaged in what was a lighthearted but meaningful demonstration of the safety features[/quote]

what the video didn’t show was the ‘whole aircraft’, only the first 4 rows of what I presume was either an airbus or 737. If there was just one passenger whose command of English or understanding of American humour could not follow the briefing, then the light hearted and comical safety briefing is wrong (of course in my very humble opinion)..

canucklad
    Participant

Great video Swissdiver

My spin on a couple of the valid points above

To Martyn’s point, it’s a Southwest flight and as such has a Southwest relaxed feel to it.
    I’d suspect if you flew Southwest regularly, you’d be use to this approach, and would probably baulk at a more formal approach.

Essele’s story about the Captains announcement resonates, I’ve heard similar speeches on quite a regular basis.

I’ve mentioned before that something as important as the safety briefing should be given the gravitas it deserves . It’s a regulatory obligation and as such it should be compulsory for all passengers to engage with the briefing. So, the question I’d ask again, why do cabin crew on certain airlines allow passengers to keep their own headphones in during the announcements , and worse allow passengers who’rer clearly not capable to sit in emergency exit rows , simply because the airline has pedalled the seats for a few extra quid !

2 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=987353]Sorry, but I beg to differ! Or I am in a minority because I don’t watch the type of programmes/films that these ‘celebrities’ appear in?
    Maybe it’s just me, but I doubt it.

I’ve looked up the cast of both productions.

I can recognise 5 out of 17 :
    Sir Michael Caine
    Joanna Lumley
    Gillian Anderson
    Rowan Atkinson
    Gordon Ramsay

I have heard of, but would not recognise, by which I mean I have no idea what they look like :
    Olivia Colman
    David Walliams
    Chiwetel Ejiofor
    Ian McKellen
    Thandie Newton

I had never heard of :
    Asim Chaudhry
    Jourdan Dunn
    Naomie Harris
    Jim Broadbent
    Rob Brydon
    Warwick Davis
    Jess Glynne[/quote]

I wouldn’t say you’re in the minority Capetonian. I would doubt many would know all the ‘celebrities’ in the video. I had to google Jess Glynne, Jourdan Dunn and Asim Chaudhry. But I guess BA are trying to appeal to all the age groups/demographics. Younger people will more than likely switch your ‘I have never heard of’ group with ‘I can recognise’ group.

I guess BA’s biggest market outside the UK is the US and most will be familiar to people there. Anyone that’s ever seen Lord of the Rings will be familiar with Sir Ian. Both Olivia Coleman and Thandie are pretty prominent in film and TV now. Both have been awarded Golden Globes and BAFTA’s. David Walliams (annoying as he comes across) is pretty familar to US TV viewers.`

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I suspect Southwest feed some of these jokes to their cabin crew and then allow them to produce their own variation of the script. There are certainly some themes in common with this video

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=988121][/postquote]

This is very possible, Ian. I like this one too…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls