SAA “mothballed”

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

SAA has been mothballed while the business rescue practitioners wait for government funding.

Via news24.com

https://www.news24.com/fin24/companies/industrial/just-in-saa-mothballed-as-government-still-searches-for-money-20200929

1 user thanked author for this post.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

There’s a surprise.

SimonS1
    Participant

I wonder if there is a “mothballing budget” with the usual suspects circling for a slice of the pie…..

SimonS1
    Participant

Good to see the SAA humorists are hard at it. A joke about a joke, I guess.

SAA-Zapiro

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Report in the Gulf News that Ethiopian Airlines has offered planes and pilots to SAA.

It wants to do a joint venture with the S African government.

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/ethiopian-airlines-offers-pilots-planes-to-south-african-1.74330031

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[postquote quote=1012698][/postquote]

This seems to make good sense, and as SAA have the right to fly to Perth, would mean Ethiopian could offer flights via JNB.
    Such a tie up would solve many issues and be beneficial to both countries.
    I can fully understand them not wanting to take on the legacy issues and is I believe the main reason Lufthansa never made an offer for SAA.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I agree LP. It makes sense as, like most growing airlines, ET will have aircraft which are currently grounded.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1012769][/postquote]

All depends whether ET can handle the level of political interference and corruption that taints everything in SA these days.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Given the closer political ties being pursued by both countries and the formal agreement,signed in January to cooperate on tourism the proposal on the surface seems to make perfect sense. https://www.aa.com.tr/en/africa/south-africa-ethiopia-vow-to-strengthen-bilateral-ties/1700473

Ethiopian were on track in January 2020 to make a profit of US$700 million for the year closing July.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I came across this tweet yesterday from Ethiopian.

SimonS1
    Participant

Some unofficial shots are emerging of the first planes and mechanics to arrive as part of the SAA bailout. Due to commitments at the Zondo Commission, Dudu Myeni was unavailable for comment on when ANC jaunts to Zimbabwe flight schedules would commence.

Capture

sparkyflier
    Participant

On the face of it, this seems a no-brainer. the SA Gov will be somewhat miffed no buyer will be willing to pay for even some of the horrendous debts, but if they want an airline with a decent fleet run by experienced management ET is equipped to do that. They have a wide fleet of very modern jets many of which are not being used right now. (772, 773, A350, 788/789 longhaul, even some 767 still and 737 short medium etc).

Of course ET is looking to partner with the new Zambia Airways, which if it actually gets going, will likely lease aircraft off ET (788, 738 and Dash?), however ET will still have spare aircraft. I believe in addition to Malawi and Chad “national” carriers, there is also talk of a new Ghana Airways, with support from ET.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wonder what they did / will do, with the brand new A350 they bought?

cwoodward
    Participant

Donate it to the ANC ?

SimonS1
    Participant

Maybe the engines will ‘go missing’ as happened before.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls