SAA makes major route cuts

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

I have a bit of sympathy for the BRPs having to deal with the clowns running the country.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Four of SAA’s A330s have arrived in Tucson (Arizona) for storage.

I wonder how long they will remain there ?

From @airplusnews [FR]

capetonianm
    Participant

I am surprised that nobody has commented on the aircraft photo in my posting 998883.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tramor01
    Participant

The SAA “Fantasy” A380 must have done a deal to take on some of Emirates “cast offs” 🙂

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=998964][/postquote]

I thought about it, then realized “No, SAA has never had and may never have an A380”. Nice photo, anyway.

capetonianm
    Participant

The article came from Business Day, a respected publication which ought to get basics rights. The photo is a flight of fantasy, maybe that was why they used it to head the article.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=998978][/postquote]

I thought 80% of people in South Africa lived in a fantasy land these days. The one where the ANC will take care of everyone etc etc.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Joking aside, SAA (or whatever or if it will be) could actually use the 380 on a couple of it’s high density routes. LHR, JFK and Sao Paulo spring to mind. They are going cheap right now and indeed leasing some from Emirates could work for them. The 350 could then be used for FRA and the 330’s JNB-CPT which are usually always very full.

capetonianm
    Participant

They just can’t keep their sticky grubby fingers out of the pie :

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/government-puts-r10bn-aside-for-saa-in-medium-term/138466.article

More taxpayers’ money for something that will just spiral down the toilet of corruption and theft.

openfly
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be easier to just put all those millions of Rand straight into the Ministers Swiss bank accounts? Saves all the messing around with going into and out of SAAs bank account…!!

Nothing changes….SAA will never stop flying. Comair will also be back, hopefully. The shrewd decision by Comair to carry Johnny Walker Black Label when ministers fly ensures their custom…!

RoyJones
    Participant

Capetonianm Actually When I saw that picture of the 380 I assumed that was the new SAA buying planes “on the cheap”. Upper deck for the ANC and its cronies, lower deck for fare paying passengers.
    Lugano Pirate: Need to add a non stop Jo’burg to Zurich to your list. Although it might be GVA to pretend they are going to a UN meeting

AMcWhirter
    Participant

capetonianm
    Participant

The cynic in me says that they would love to resume international flights but won’t be able to do so until they have paid the various debts they will have incurred, such as overflying rights, airport fees, fuel, handling, etc.

openfly
    Participant

They must be getting credit, as, on sun 24th May an SAA A340 (!) departed LHR at 20.30-ish, SA2235, en route to JNB. It must have been very heavy as it was climbing over West Sussex at 800ft/min! I know A340s are under-powered but this was really struggling!…gold bars are heavy!!😀

capetonianm
    Participant

Those are repatriation flights and I suspect that they have to pay up front. Don’t know, just a suspicion.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls