SAA business class – what do others really think?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

With BA seemingly blocking the Amsterdam Dodge (or attempts to start a journey in any country other than the UK), I’m looking at SAA. They’re flying A330s from London to JNB and their biz cabin seems rather good.

Star Alliance, of course, so no TPs or Avios, but I can live with that for a flight cost of around £1500 return, starting inAMS.

All thoughts and comments gratefully received.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

The only question is, will they be grounded by the date you wish to fly?
    There is also a suggestion that some maintenance practices are questionable.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Well, this for travel late next year, so….

Switzerlanding
    Participant

Why not give Qatar a go? Not sure of their pricing out of AMS but a nice OW option

MDK
    Participant

Another vote for Qatar – flying LHR -CPT and using Qatar as cheaper and much better business than BA (also more tier points). OK jpourney is longer but worth it.

capetonianm
    Participant

SGJNI1961 has made two valid comments above which reflect the sad reality of how the country and its parastatals are being run under the current ‘democratic’ regime.
    That said, I would not hesitate to fly SAA if it suited my needs and itinerary, and although I haven’t flown with them for a long time, I understand from people who have that their new business class is very good, in fact even economy isn’t bad. I certainly wouldn’t go via Doha (or anywhere in the ME) if I had the option of AMS-LHR-JNB.

I am not sure if TiredOldHack2 is heading for JNB or CPT, but if the latter, then I wouldn’t go via JNB unless there were a huge saving or I wanted to stop over there.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Yeah, I’d thought of Qatar but it breaks the journey into two longish segments, with a stopover in Doha, and I’d rather do the Europe-SA leg in one hit. That said, QR has some damn good deals from time to time and is very useful from a TP point of view, so maybe.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=977816]am not sure if TiredOldHack2 is heading for JNB or CPT[/quote]

JNB. Better access to the Kruger, though DUB is a contender.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’ve always found SAA OK as an airline.

The day to day staff are generally sound and do a reasonable job. Unfortunately the problems are at the management end, when you have buffoons like Dudu Myeni involved you have no chance.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[postquote quote=977811][/postquote]

TOH it always helps to say roughly when any travel is planned as aviation is a fast-changing industry.

Should that strike go ahead there might be disruption and so on for weeks.

In any case you referred to SAA’s A330s.

But SAA has just taken delivery of the first of a small fleet of A350s.

Will these aircraft retain the same business class product ?

Yes our piece refers to JNB-NYC service but I have also read that they could be deployed on London which is SAA’s most competitive European route.

South African Airways takes delivery of first A350

capetonianm
    Participant

Dudu Myeni was not just a buffoon, she was a thieving corrupt buddy of the biggest thief in the country at the time.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=977831]it always helps to say roughly when any travel is planned[/quote]

Good point. Silly me. First 10-12 days in October.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That’s a long time ahead which covers the summer 2020 schedules. By then the A350 might be operating the route.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Assuming they are still flying / exist, but I think they will, the SAA Business Class on the A330 is an excellent product.
    Seating was (and I assume still is) 2x2x2 but the amount of space and legroom is the best of any of the other carriers I’ve flown with. On the few occasions I’ve flown them my sleep has been better than that on LH or LX First class.
    Plenty of cubby holes for your shoes and other bits and pieces.

Crew are friendly, though perhaps lack the polish of LH or LX and the food is not too bad I’m told. Drink choice is very good, as South Africans enjoy their liquor, especially if it’s free!!!

I can’t speak of the lounge at LHR or FRA but the one in JNB is very good.
    So all in all, I’d certainly recommend them for long haul travel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls