Ryanair strike action planned for August 10

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

“Ryanair strike widens as German, Dutch pilots join Friday stoppage” – http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ryanair-unions-germany/ryanair-strike-widens-as-german-dutch-pilots-join-friday-stoppage-idUKKBN1KT0Y6

Ryanair will cancel about one in six of its flights on Friday after pilots based in Germany voted to join 24-hour stoppages set to hit Europe’s biggest airline in Ireland, Sweden and Belgium at the height of the holiday season.

jjlasne
    Participant

I am booked on RyanAir from London to France in late September. Any expectation for UK-based pilots to go on strike as well?

BTW, Norwegian is poaching their pilots and, if I was a RyanAir pilot, I would jump ship for a nicer aircraft, longer haul destinations and better pay (I surmise).

capetonianm
    Participant

It will be interesting to see how this will affect Ryanair. Under EU261, strikes of an airline’s staff, and in most cases of its contractors, are deemed to be within the control of the airline and do not fall under the ‘exceptional/unforeseeable/unavoidable circumstances’ clause.

Ryanair’s website says :

FLIGHT CANCELLATION
    If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to the rights set out below ………. please note that Ryanair is entitled to refuse compensation when:
    …………..
    we can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken by Ryanair, including not limited ………….. labour disputes or failure or delay of air traffic control facilities.

That would, I believe, apply in the event of a labour dispute of a third party (typically that would be French ATC) but when it’s their own staff or contractors, I don’t see how they can avoid paying out.

This might spell a rocky road ahead for Ryanair, but then I still think Michael O’Leary will come out of it smelling of roses! It will be interesting.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I didn’t do the homework. May-be someone did. Could all these strikes, shortage of pilots, compensations it will certainly have to pay in the end, put Ryanair in jeopardy, financially speaking?

capetonianm
    Participant

Let’s just say I’m glad I don’t have shares in Ryanair.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls