Ryanair – Standing and Spending a Penny?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi all,

So it wasn’t a joke after all:

http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3312418

Simon

continentalclub
    Participant

Oh, it is just a joke, I’m afraid.

The CAA has very strict rules, some of which are alluded to in that article.

The most pertinent one, however, is that there is a limit to the number of passengers that can be carried on a given aircraft with a given number of emergency exits.

The maximum number that can be carried on an FR 737 is, if I recall correctly, 189. Never one to underutilise, guess how many seats are on FR’s 737s already? You’re right; the legal maximum.

So it would appear impossible to replace existing seats with these proposed passenger ‘racks’ on anything more than a 1:1 basis, which fundamentally compromises the whole reason for doing it in the firstplace.

Well, apart from generating countless column inches written for free by those who crave easy copy and are uncritical in their reading of press releases, that is……

In other news:

Much less noise about 200 FR jobs being on the line at Stansted, which must be making the affected employees feel even more uncomfortable than a standing passenger might.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Simon

My company has a blanket travel policy ban on Ryan Air which includes all departments including our positioning flight crew. Our view is, that Ryan Air is a disaster waiting to happen and this has been based purely on the wacky ideas he tries to implement. When the CAA doubts whether he can meet safety standards and he decides to fight that, proves he lives near the mark and has sight of that line that shouldnt crossed (or even seen).

Budget Airlines like Easy jet are an example of bringing cheap flights to market in a professional manner.

CC, did you listen to Simon Caulder this afternoon then……….? he said exactly the same thing re the max pax on the 737

SimonRowberry
    Participant

CC, Martyn,

Good points, chaps. The Beeb’s latest take on this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8779388.stm

Regards,

Simon

continentalclub
    Participant

Oh dear: I do try to make a point of never agreeing with Mr Calder!

There again, perhaps he’d read something that I’d already written elsewhere ;-).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls