Ryanair shuns duty of care obligation

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

Sorry, VK, but the apostrophe is used for both possession and a missing word / letter, such as it’s = it is and it’s = that belonging to it.

Please see the following link

http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sorry FaroFlyer but I think you may have misinterpreted the correct usage.

Even on the link you provided it states:

2. They are used to denote possession, for example:

……… but please note that the possessive form of it does not take an apostrophe any more than ours, yours or hers do

the bone is in its mouth

——-

So I stand by my assertion:

its = possessive

it’s = it is

———

One of the most commonly made errors, and easily done as it just doesn’t “look” right.

craigwatson
    Participant

To be fair, it’s not only FR, BA also stopped offering hotels after about 5 days. I was stuck in YVR, having flown AC, and they were great about trying to rebook me even if they didnt offer any hotel or other form of compensation. Others that were with BA were told after day 5 that they were on their own. Once back at LHR pax that were on VS were saying that they were either given nothing or told they had to pay, and they could write to VS for a refund up to a set amount each day.

And in regards to travel insurance, it doesnt cover this as its an act of god, other than a per day payout for travel delay, up to a set limit. I have now checked 4 different policies and they all state the same thing, and the usual max limit is £100 per person.

Personally I dont think the airlines or government should pay out for this. It is we who were travelling, so it’s us who should pay our own bill. All the airline is responsible for is to get us to our destination and home safetly. Granted if it’s the fault of the carrier, then I think they need to take care of you. But not in this case!!

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

As no-one seems capable of explaining , or being willing to explain, why this natural volcanic event is an ‘act of god’ I’ve lost interest in all aspects except the grammar lesson centred on the apostrophe.
    For all involved (VK and Faro non-flyer) the definitive reference and educational text is called “Eats shoots and leaves”. It’s the definitive guide to the apostrophe and its idiosyncrasies.

Potakas
    Participant

EU Transport Commissioner Siim Kallas said some things about those staff (not about the apostrophes) earlier today, you can read the full article here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8645981.stm

I can highlight some parts,

EU Transport Commissioner Siim Kallas said no airline should gain a competitive advantage by ignoring customers’ rights to a refund or care.
    He put the cost of the crisis to the aviation industry and tour operators at up to 2.5bn euros (£2.2bn; $3.3bn).

He added that there might be a case for state aid to support airlines.

EU transport ministers will meet on 4 May and Mr Kallas said that he would be bringing a package of measures to the table.

This included fast-tracking the idea of a single European regulator for the European skies, which would have enabled a more agile response to the crisis.

Other responses – which he said could be brought in immediately – included the possibility of a temporary halt to flight restrictions so more night flights could get stranded passengers home.

Route charges, which airlines pay to air traffic control, could also be delayed to help airlines cope with their immediate cash-flow problems.

dc12345
    Participant

I hate to get in the middle of a battle between a group of pseudo intellectuals but in this case I couldn’t resist. As someone who was stranded in Munich on my way to Brussels I can speak based on firsthand experience regarding airline accountability and lack thereof. AOR I’m not sure what airports you frequent but spending a night or longer there is no holiday.
    I was given 1 nights’ accommodation by Lufthansa at a really low budget Best Western, it also included meals. Everything sounds great so far, but unfortunately I was delayed in Munich for 6 nights. Lufthansa did not offer me any accommodation and there was none available at a reasonable rate in Munich due to the flight lockdown and some sort of convention being in town. The going rate (per night) for hotels that still had rooms available was in the $500 range. I had to rent a car ($450ish) and drive almost 100 miles where I paid about $225 per night for a hotel where I waited on the phone day after day accruing another $300 phone bill (local and 800 calls aren’t free in European hotels). To make matters worse Lufthansa refused to go into the baggage holding area at the airport and get my luggage (they said they were swamped) so I was left without clothes and toiletries for a week.
    So I ask all of the pundits on this site; is it OK to be left on your own in a foreign country because of matters beyond your control? People here seem pretty sure that the airline should have no involvement in your wellbeing during a delay, but would they feel the same if their teenage son or daughter were stranded? Would it be OK to leave someone who has limited financial means at the airport without access to a shower or a comfortable place to sleep?
    I suggest that the airline has taken on the risk of delays (including catastrophic delays) as part of the business of moving human beings. To say that airlines have no accountability opens the traveling public up to abuse, e.g. why would an airline ever want to pay for cancelations or delays when they can force the passengers to take care of themselves? I’m not here to offer solutions and there may need to be some middle ground but I can tell you that what I have read here is no more than a bunch of self righteous armchair quarterbacks adding little value to the discussion.

Potakas
    Participant

Let’s ask something, is actually anyone in this forum that stranded in city and got accommodation and food for all those days?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Absolutely not, dc12345.

It can’t have been a very enjoyable few days for you, or many others. But that doesn’t change the fundamentals of the issue.

It is incumbent on the individual to make provision for their own safety and comfort; while the ash issue was beyond your sphere of responsibility, it was similarly beyond the airline’s sphere of responsibility.

It was indeed wrong for Lufty not to have recovered your bags in a timely fashion, and obviously that may have had a bearing on your illustration, which does rather muddy the waters somewhat.

Notwithstanding the baggage issue, you have an option to insure against such unknowns when you book on most airlines (including Ryanair) and if you travel regularly you can take out an independent policy cover that trip, or an annual policy covering all your travel. This applies most especially if you are of limited means.

While I do support the common human decency of offering shelter and food in essential circumstances when stranded near an airport for a limited period of time (IMHO up to 24 hours), beyond that it is up to us to get off our backsides and sort it out ourselves.

Had you had that insurance, I would imagine you would have slept in considerably more comfort and without significant stress.

Waiting for an airline or a government to nanny us is lazy, irresponsible and not likely to have an optimum result for the passenger or the airline concerned.

Binman62
    Participant

Potakas……I did. Family of 4 in SFO hotel and food provided for 3 nights initially but this was extended without being asked for to 5 nights. We did not need the extension and flew home on one of the first services……….British Airways were faultless in this regard.
    VK. I simply cannot agree with you. The law is very clear; the airline must provide accommodation and meals. I would accept that it was never intended to cover the events of the last few weeks, but I for one am grateful that it was. Indeed, I have written to every UK MEP urging them to resist the wave of lobbying that will now be coming from airlines to change the law.
    I would however support and encourage the EU to fully compensate airlines in such circumstances. This event was a catastrophe and only governments have the resources to manage such events. Airlines however are a very effective tool in providing the assistance that citizens and taxpayers should be entitled to from their national governments in such times. My family and I have excellent insurance but it would have been wholly insufficient if a) I had not been with my family and b) had BA not complied with the law in full. Even a policy such as Amex platinum provides just £300 per person per trip. This was designed for an overnight delay or missed connection and would provide a night in a hotel and a decent meal. It would not provide any tangible benefit for a 4 or 5 day delay to an individual, As it was, even for a family of 4, £1200 was tight.. 4 days was the minimum time for many who were stranded and the situation could have been made much worse.
    This law is probably one of the best consumer protection laws anywhere, and it should be supported and held as a model for other consumer rights. For my money the next target must be the mobile phone operators who have profited beyond the dreams of avarice from this event. My bills exceed £150 for what was less than 40 minutes of calls and around 30 or 40 texts; one call alone to a free phone number costs more than my monthly bill in total. Frankly I am sick of being ripped off by greedy companies who profit from the misery and misfortune of others. I am however more of a fan now of BA than I was before and even the BAA who waived parking charges deserve plaudits. Airlines that refused to take care of passengers should be named and shamed and brought to book as they should not be allowed to profit from their refusal to obey the law.

dc12345
    Participant

Let’s just hope that they don’t appoint you (Vintage) to the decision making board for the policies related to commercial space travel. ; )

VintageKrug
    Participant

Ground Control to Major Tom… 😉

Potakas
    Participant

Vk is not lazy and irresponsible it’s just the law and as we all have to go by the law also the airlines have to do it.

It is very clear that they are responsible for taking care those things, also EU published extra statements saying that the ash situation was included.

I am sure that they don’t like it but responsible carriers as BA taking care their passengers.

MarkCymru
    Participant

VK says, “Had you had that insurance, I would imagine you would have slept in considerably more comfort and without significant stress.” Er … no, Most insurers have refused to pay out volcano-related claims because it was “an Act of God” . A few — HSBC as a shining example — are saying they will pay out even though they are not obliged to. However, they want you to try to recover the money from the airline first.

I was stranded for two days by BA but I didn’t ask them to pay for a hotel (and they certainly didn’t offer) as I was too busy finding another way to get from the US to Africa. I found TAP in the end and have to say that, despite the enormous pressure at Lisbon, they were brilliant on all sectors and delivered me home from Africa as soon as the airports in Northern Europe re-opened. Whatever else happened, they’ve won a new loyal passenger.

binabdulaziz
    Participant

“Waiting for an airline or a government to nanny us is lazy, irresponsible and not likely to have an optimum result for the passenger or the airline concerned.”

Law is law Mr Krug.

You have two ears and one mouth, better to listening to others.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls