Ryanair poised to buy stake in new LCC Laudamotion

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

News today that Ireland’s Ryanair will take a 25 per cent stake in this new LCC.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-laudamotion-m-a-ryanair/ryanair-expands-in-germany-austria-with-laudamotion-deal-idUKKBN1GW0UZ

For more information on Laudamotion see last week’s news.

Laudamotion launches website and initial routes

Flightlevel
    Participant

Its a virtual takeover of Laudamotion (EU permitting) since they intend to own 75% and operate as Ryanair Austria – with Airbus aircraft- and Ryanair is providing the startup (re-start?) costs too.

transtraxman
    Participant

I am surprised that nobody has commented on the Laudamotion/Ryanair development.
    Recently I have found that every time I type in Ryanair I get Laudamotion as the webpage.This would not be an item if it were not a question of possible confusion between the two companies Ryanair and Laudamotion.

What is the reason for this?
    I have assumed that it is a way of promotion for Laudamotion. Ryanair took over NIKI and wants to promote itself in the German language market (Germany, Austria and Switzerland above all others). However, is it promoting the brand for other reasons? I thought that Ryanair wanted to promote Laudamotion as an alternative brand for different markets. Here I was thinking of long-distance low cost flights. NIKI was more of a leisure airline than a business one. So it makes sense to promote the brand but keep a low profile. In the first year of operation (effectively the first six months) it is unlikely that Ryanair would show its hand. However, I am sure that the future(next spring or autumn) for Laudamotion is to be the long-haul arm of Ryanair. That is why Ryanair has been talking to other long haul airlines about “connecting passengers”. It is trying to gain the experience that others have taken some years to acquire.
    Any comments?

mkcol74
    Participant

See my comment on the earlier Business Traveller article on their new livery.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls