Ryanair Plans Long Haul Flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• HarryMonk
    Participant

Alex

On that LHR-JFK fare you quote, remember much of that £357 in taxes / fees / charges etc is actually comprised of BA’s very own carrier imposed charges which should to give a fair comparison be added to the £110 base fare to give the true amount of the fare received by BA. My guess is BA are actually taking somewhere near £320-£330

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Not beyond the realms for Mick to make a deal with the New Independent Scottish Government to say fly from Prestwick (renamed :Bonnie Prince Charlie International Airport) direct to NY….with min taxes applied …say 10 Euro.

That would at the same time give the new Government the opportunity of upgrading both Glasgow and Edinburgh to true International European Hubs with say 6 Runways each,24 Hour operations and a MAGLEV train connection.

Most Eu/US/Long Haul flights would then pass through Scotland and Heathrow could revert back to growing apples and be the nice quiet place favoured by the local tree huggers.

BA could then relocate to a new HQ at say Southend and continue flying locals to Spain for their 2 week jollies

AirBorne
    Participant

November 2011 portrait of a Ryanair A340..possibly foreseeing that a longhaul programme was intended ?

Hi everyone, I’m new here…hope not to get any abuse that some posters here get on a daily basis !

HarryMonk
    Participant

The assumption on this thread seems to be that Mick’s long haul operation would operate from the UK. The UK-USA market is pretty competitive as it stands but there are plenty of places in mainland Europe which do not have direct US flights or are at the mercy of costly cosy duopolies or bloated flag carriers and thus ripe for low cost competition.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

AirBorne…You are most welcome .

Don’t worry about abuse,most posters are very respectful and understanding ….until they at least get to know you.

Harry Agree..hence my mention about the link with the NEW Independent Scottish Government….there would be no more UK….Those days will have gone….adeu….

Recon on 50 million expat/decendents Sons and Daughters of Alba would/could be his first customers…especially at 10 quid a go..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Harry

Yes, correct. BA’s charges are bloated but I was trying to explain that taxes/fees/ charges on US routes from the UK comprise a much higher percentage of the total fare compared with other long-haul routes served by LCCs such as KUL or SIN to SYD.

And correct again, Ryanair mentions a large wide-bodied fleet which I am sure would also operate services out of those points in mainland Europe and Scandinavia where it’s already well known.

AirBorne
    Participant

Hi TerryMcManus and thanks for your kind words.

I have seen all sorts on here..bullying,racism,schoolboy pranks…really makes for some uncomfortable reading but I guess the moderators allow it !

Here is the link for the RyanAir 340 !

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00014798

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

I think a good test will be to see how Norwegian does. Yes, Norwegian has a higher cost base but it will be interesting to see if it can sustain the long haul routes and be profitable or atleast break even.

Yes Norwegian is indeed basing it’s crew in Asia to lower costs but knowing Ryanair, crew could be ‘based’ in Sudan!

balover
    Participant

I hope that Ryan Air does do this, then go the way of Laker Airways – entirely bust! I have the up most respect for Easy Jet and Southwest but Ryan Air takes the low cost model a step too far. I would hope that trans Atlantic flights would halt their profits and restore customer friendly flying to Europe, by eradicating Ryan Air’s dominance and stopping ignorant people from buying a ticket, which, in the long run is most likely to cost them more than a flight with BA to the same destination…..

BA744fan
    Participant

archieblair – 29/06/2013 23:58 GMT

Like or loathe Ryanair, they have opened up air travel to a market that was previously priced out of it.

Should they go down the long haul route, I’m certain they would create a separate company so that if it went bust, their existing operations would not be affected.

balover
    Participant

I think that people believe they have and are lured in by the modular fares that they offer, but, as soon as they want to put a bag in the hold the price doubles….. making it very expensive, unlike EasyJet which offers a better medium for low cost travel. Also I am not sure that MOl would make it a different company. Due to the fact that he is very proud of the Ryan Air brand and even if he didn’t he would need to float the Atlantic operation with the European one, meaning that it would still take down the European operation, as the its profits would be taken making both operations unprofitable……

StandingThemUp
    Participant

I doubt that FR can compete in the long haul arena, Alex McWhirter has set out the case earlier in the thread and I agree with him.

CXDiamond
    Participant

I remain unconvinced that opening up air travel to the masses was a good thing. As far as I can see it has increased congestion principally over south east England but it’s spreading and reduced service standards on legacy short haul services in business class to what they were in economy class ten years ago.

We are not all pleased about that.

Daytripper
    Participant

Two days ago I flew from the Canaries to London on Ryanair. During the four hour flight, which took off at 6am so most passengers were trying to sleep, I counted seven different announcements trying to sell things to those on board. Scratch cards, food, two different gift/duty free runs etc. These weren’t the ‘gentle’ nighttime style announcements that cabin crew are capable of. They were of the loud ‘hard sell’ variety designed to wake people up, or at least not giving two hoots about the 50% or more of the flight who were sleeping.

God help anyone on a Ryanair long haul flight who plans to get some rest. Some things are worth more than money, and (for me anyway) rest and relaxation are two of them. As you probably guessed, I only flew Ryanair because there was no other convenient alternative. Thankfully, there is rarely such lack of choice in the long haul marketplace.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There’s an aviation conference taking place right now in Bordeaux.

A question has just been asked: “Could low-cost long-haul make sense ?”

Easyjet said “no.” It says that low-cost is about short-haul traffic.

But the Ryanair delegate said “could.”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls