Ryanair Plans Long Haul Flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

• Anonymous

Bucksnet
    Participant

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

Probably none as O’Leary will probably make you stand all the way!

MartinJ
    Participant

I wonder how Ryanair would market the nowhere to nowhere model with transatlantic flights. “London-Doncaster” to “New York-Buffalo” perhaps? After all Buffalo is just 400 km away from New York City …..

BA744fan
    Participant

It’s another MOL publicity stunt. Punters might be prepared to put up with a 2 hour flight in a high density 738, but 6+ hours is another matter, especially on the overnight eastbounds in seats with no recline.

What metal would he fly them on? 738s are out of the question. Maybe he could take some of BA’s soon-to-be-retired 767s.

Good luck to him, but others have tried and failed and I can’t see this being any different.

Hermes1964
    Participant

Not a pleasant prospect, not least because it is actually feasible on a 738. Sun Country Airlines ran a weekly Minneapolis to Stansted service in 2010 on a 738 with a stop in Gander.

Perhaps this cld become New York Gander, with a connecting bus service to the Big Apple?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

To be honest, there’s nothing new here.

Ryanair was talking about starting transatlantic flights six years ago !

See this interview Michael O’Leary gave to the media in 2007.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/ryanair-envisages-nofrills-transatlantic-fares-under-15/2007/04/12/1175971263433.html

The idea is to have a separate fleet of wide-bodied planes. The B737s wouldn’t be used to fly transatlantic.

traffic
    Participant

Ryanair plans and gets free advertising!

CocktailMike
    Participant

I think I would rather swim

speedbird1456
    Participant

where would they fly to they havent got the planes!!

JohnHarper
    Participant

I would have thought ten abreast on the 787 at a 28 inch pitch should be about right. No recline of course and there will be a slot taking two pound coins on the lavatory door. If you haven’t got one you can pay by card but there is a card handling fee of £10.

Edski777
    Participant

Mock them as much as you want, but RyanAir and Easyjet brought everyday short haul flying throughout Europe to the masses. And made it profitable as well.

What if they do this as well to transatlantic routes? People will love the low prices and use it. Legacy carriers will, again, suffer when the market is saturated with seats and destinations.
    AirAsiaX, Scoot and the others in the AustralAsia region are a good example.

Perhaps it is time to look in depth at the incredible growth in routes, frequencies and ever bigger planes. Is it sustainable, are there enough passengers to fill all the available seats? What will happen to legacy carriers with high operating costs?

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Recon Micks done well and I actually quite like him.

The airline industry is made up of characters aka… Freddie Laker,Great Beaderd One,Willy Walsh,Jame Hogan,Howard Hughes..etc and they are all part of the attraction of the whole setup otherwise how BORING it would all be.

Whos the boss of China Southern…ANA…Air India…whos knows?…as said bor…etc…..

Anyway if ‘Mr Michael’ wants to charge me 10 quid to fly the pond I will be happy to and will even bring my own bucket…..aint going to pay a pound…huh.

Long haul since the days of Paddy Ryans renta car business.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think the only way he could make this work is to use a transatlantic departure point where the airport rip off taxes are minimal and feed his pax in on a separate ticket.

IMHO though this is just another publicity stunt…. he will never be able to create or sustain a long haul model…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Terry

Don’t forget that £10 is before taxes/fees/charges.

On a £444 LHR-JFK return with BA, the taxes/fees/charges amount to £357 so the actual fare is just over £110.

LCCs haven’t yet succeeded on the transatlantic because the margins are so slim. The bulk of the total price is accounted for by the many extras charges.

As I wrote in our Snapshot page last April, People Express the first serious LCC to fly transatlantic, charged USD149 each-way for LGW-EWR. But that was way back in 1984 when the taxes/fees/charges amounted to just a few dollars.

So on that basis, BA today is charging less than People Express was in 1984 !

Yes it is true that any LCC entering the market now will score in the summer months (when all the conventional carriers hike their prices) but what about the rest of the year ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls