Ryanair plans Belfast base

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• icenspice
    Participant

I am wondering just how large this ‘large base’ will be? I know Brussels Airlines is due to fly to BHD next year, but will Mr O’Leary’s plans include Belgium, Germany and Italy?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Travellator – Re: Interlining. You might be pleasantly surprised in future.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/budget-carriers-to-connect-to-star-alliance

Also see our December feature “Meeting in the Middle.”

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Reliable sources now indicating that Ryanair will, on Thursday January 9, announce that it will launch flights from Belfast (BFS) to London Gatwick.

The latter is just one of several routes from Belfast which Ryanair is expected to announce.

No further information at this stage.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the link, icenspice.

All will become clear on Thursday. But it appears Ryanair will be competing directly on Belfast-Gatwick with Easyjet.

Travellator
    Participant

Regardless of previous postings surely there is enough demand for someone to take on BHD-LGW. Cant believe that there is sufficient requirement for both FR and EZY on this route from BFS. I am sure however they have both done their research?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

But the question is who ? Which airline would wish to take on FR/EZY on the LGW route even though they operate at BFS rather than BHD ?

Flybe comes to mind but, as has been said before, it withdrew its services at LGW and sold its slots because it needed the cash.

Travellator
    Participant

Point is that BHD is the preferred exit point for many PAX. The trudge or increased travel costs to BFS make it a non option which is my opinion and I am sure that of many others, at one stage both Flybe and EI plied the BHD LGW route.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Well Ryanair has announced there will be four daily flights between BFS and LGW.

There’s a seat sale until Monday January 11.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Despite my previous misgivings, I have decided to book a one way to LGW on the new route, partly because I’m still miffed that the EZ flight I want is almost double the price than all their other flights that week AND Ryanair are £50 cheaper but also because I am determined to NEVER fly out of BHD ever again due to their total rip off car parking charges. I will mis the pleasant BA lounge compared to the third party one in Dublin but since BHD closed down the parking competition on a legal technicality (the wonderful Boal car parking Co) they can (and are ) charging what they like. For those of us living more than 20 miles or so out of Belfast, BHD is not any more or less convenient than BFS, with DUB only an extra 60 mins drive it will be my preferred airport from now on. I can park at it for a week for what BHD charge for 2 days!!!! Ex Europe fares are always a bonus too.
    BHD really needs to wake up and smell the competition as it were. They seem to act as if they have a monopoly so treat pax accordingly. £36 for 2 days car parking, really???? DUB will always have better choice and routes but lets see if O’Leary can stop BHD from being quite so complacent.

drflight
    Participant

A random series of test bookings show there are plenty of mid-week fares at £9.99 fare to Gatwick and plenty of return fares at £14.99 from Gatwick back to Belfast so a return trip could be as low as £24.98 return.

I rather suspect Ryanair will do very nicely!

Panda01
    Participant

Ryanair flying to international is a no for me. I try to avoid international airport if possible. However things could get interesting, Ryanair against Easyjet.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls