Ryanair plans Belfast baseCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines Ryanair plans Belfast base

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Panda01 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Report two days ago in the Belfast Telegraph quotes Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary saying “Very shortly I hope we will be announcing a base in Belfast.”

“We will be expanding into Belfast and making it another large base in Ireland and the UK.”

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/ryanairs-oleary-confirms-belfast-return-and-a-cut-in-fares-34277439.html

If the move does go ahead, it would be logical to expect Ryanair to take over the Aer Lingus’ link between Belfast and London Gatwick which ends on March 26.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/BHD-LGW-Axed-1

However unlike Aer Lingus, which departs Belfast City for Gatwick, Ryanair is expected to locate its new base at the main International airport.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Wonder if there will be some competition on prices. I have been looking at Easy Jet to LGW since it was announced that Aer Lingus were dropping their route but was a little surprised to find they wanted £50+ for the date I wanted in May yet many other flights that week were only £29. Could I bring myself to fly Ryanair for 60 minutes, even if they were significantly cheaper? Not too sure about that.

SimonS1
    Participant

I never understand people who say they can’t manage 60 minutes in a Ryanair plane.

It does what it says on the tin. Plus in my experience things like priority boarding etc are more effectively enforced than on some ‘full service’ carriers.

I did Budapest not that long ago – front row seats, checked bag, priority security and boarding and still about half the price of BA

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

I’d try to avoid Ryanair for a single minute, let alone 60 or anything longer

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

I’d try to avoid Ryanair for a single minute, let alone 60 or anything longer

Travellator
    Participant

Easy and Ryanair head to head at BFS – exciting times ahead ! But surely over capacity to LGW ? BHD haven’t found a replacement for EI on that route yet – that is if they are trying?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

But who would want to compete with EZY/FR to LGW
    even if operating out of BHD as against BFS ?

There are already services between BHD and LHR.

Panda01
    Participant

I dont think Ryanair will return to Belfast. They came to city airport and left when the runway expansion wasnt going to happen. Should the runway at city be expanded, I dont doubt Ryanair will be back. Other airlines might also come.

Travellator
    Participant

Is the runway just a 737 thing ?
    EI fly 320’s to Malaga, Palma and Faro. Vuelling do BCN with a 320
    BMI used to use 321’s albeit to LHR and BA sometimes use a 321 on the same route.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Panda01 – “I don’t think Ryanair will return to Belfast.”

Did you see this link:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/ryanairs-oleary-confirms-belfast-return-and-a-cut-in-fares-34277439.html

canucklad
    Participant

One reason why Ryanair will make a go of it, is because they have chosen what has become Belfast’s secondary airport at Antrim.
    As a result of airlines leaving Aldergrove in favour of the more convenient city centre George Best location, it puts FR in a strong negotiating position to secure favourable terms.

In traditional O’Leary style, I’ve no doubt his opening gambit was something along the lines of , you’ve got excess capacity , we’ve got the planes, take it or leave it !

Overall good news for the travelling public in Northern Ireland !

Panda01
    Participant

I am glad on this occasion that I was wrong. Having more airlines flying to Northern Ireland is a great thing and hope that more airlines will come. I hope this will help to get BA to improve the customer experience.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Panda01
    Actually Ryanair already fly into Northern Ireland. And are to be commended as they already fly out off London/Derry airport to a few limited destinations.

Travellator
    Participant

On a personal note I am sad to see LGW disappear from BHD’s portfolio. The airport is mega handy and convenient for me and is a pleasure to fly through. I regularly commute via LHR to various destinations but also through Gatwick to the same routes served from there. One of the advantages of this was being able to transline baggage which EI would do for BA. The flights were always busy and the EI crew and service polite and efficient. With the expansion of BA routes and now CX from LGW a service to LGW would be great for me – selfish as it is !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.