Ryanair has eyes on Amsterdam and Lelystad

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

In Dutch :

http://www.zakenreisnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/ryanair-wil-gaan-vliegen-vanaf-schiphol-en-lelystad

Ryanair sees opportunities to fly in the future from both Schiphol and Lelystad Airport . That said Chief Marketing Officer Kenny Jacobs of Europe’s largest low Wednesday. It fits in the pursuit of Ryanair ‘s market share in the Netherlands – now only 4 percent – significantly expand . “One scenario is that we from Schiphol business routes from Lelystad will carry the more tourist routes ,” Jacobs said on Wednesday at the Philips stadium in Eindhoven Travel Media .

Lelystad Airport will pass from 2018 large passenger aircraft like the Boeing 737-800 can handle . The rapidly growing Ryanair, which has 380 new 737s on order , but does not want to wait so long for the ‘Amsterdam -region ‘ – which also is counted Lelystad – storm . It has long been clear that Ryanair Schiphol no longer as a ‘no- go area ” considers , as was the case for years . Across Europe Ryanair flies more and more from primary airports like Brussels – Zaventem and Fiumicino , in addition to secondary airports like Charleroi-Brussels and Rome -Ciampino .

Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary said Tuesday that all the launch of Ryanair flights from Schiphol has no direct priority. “Schiphol is one of the airports we talk , but there is currently no question of a significant progression ,” he said to the German Airport Weeze. Kenny Jacobs announced a day later that the only low-cost carrier will begin at the earliest in 2016 at the largest airport in the Netherlands. Negotiations with Schiphol go yet on the rates charged by the airport. Despite that Schiphol has decreased by seven percent believe budget carrier Ryanair rates are still too high.

An important requirement of Ryanair is a turn-around -time of 25 minutes ; within that time, an extension of arrival must be ready to leave. The company will additionally like to take the cheaper Pier H , which is already being used by competitors as easyJet and Norwegian . This requires or slots are available , recognizes Jacobs. That while easyJet expands at the airport and this spring will open a ‘base’ . Examples of destinations served by Ryanair from Schiphol wants to fly , according to Jacobs,

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Did google translate do the translation? I’ve had a laugh.

Andrew66
    Participant

Sounds like a Louis Van Gaal interview , lol

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Hostess and thanks for the post, though I think had you left it in Dutch it would have been more understandable! 😉

Interesting point though but I don’t think Schipol will give in to Ryanair’s demands. Maybe things have improved but the big problem with Lelystad are transport links but a few years ago I would have said the same for Eindhoven so it could well work.

canucklad
    Participant

I would imagine one of the demands is that they are excluded from using the Polderbaan runway. And does Schipol want or need the hassle that comes with Michael O”Leary’s budget brigade.

Lelystad looks like a much better fit for FRightmares business model.

Edited to add……
    Early Sunday morning boredom has led me to do a wee bit of googling. And the more I’ve looked into Lelystad ,the more I’d favour that option if I was MOL. And because of the great rail links between Lelystad and Schipol, if I was sitting in the Schipol decision making seat I would consider this an opportunity to grow both airports in tandem .

MrMichael
    Participant

Oh the Polderdam runway, using it cuts five minutes off the flying time to Sou/LHR! Fortunately the last couple of times to AMS on Flybe and BA we did not use it in or out.

I must say, I would be surprised to see any large scale Ryanair operations at AMS, perhaps Rotterdam is the answer, it is after all only just over an hour from Central Amsterdam on the train via The Hague. Also Rotterdam has a huge catchment area including Northern Belgium.

DerekVH
    Participant

It might cut five minutes off the flying time but it is 7km away from the main airport and takes ages to taxi. I use Rotterdam regularly for trips to the Hague but I cannot see if being successful for the likes of Ryanair – there are no train/tram connections so the only options are a taxi or bus to either Rotterdam or the Hague stations.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Ryanair is apparently serious about serving major airports. It was only in December that there was a large discussion about Ryanair wanting to serve to MUC but negotiations weren’t as fruitful. There was ofcourse the point of how much airport taxes it was willing to pay to serve MUC.

I think it’s very possible they could serve AMS. Those short turn-around times will hardly be possible on big airports. Then comes the question of how ‘high’ it’ll raise prices to cover the extra costs incurred. Though i think it’ll still be cheaper than most.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The fees at Schiphol are not pleasing Easyjet. So what must Ryanair think ?

Amsterdam is, first and foremost, designed as a transfer airport. Easyjet (a point-to-point carrier because it does not interline) is complaining because transit passengers pay lower airport fees.

http://www.4-traders.com/EASYJET-PLC-10093880/news/easyJet–European-court-rejects-EasyJet-complaint-over-Amsterdam-charges-19739610/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls