Ryanair considering carry on bag charge

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• carlton
    Participant

I find him quite entertaining, especially on a dull Thursday morning. I’m not sure where greed ends and stupidity starts but the fact that they are posting profits in the 100’s of millions, doesn’t that mean that there are an obscene number of stupid people out there? They are offering a product which is ‘wanted’ by millions and as long as it’s percieved cheaper than the ‘legacy’ carriers then I suppose they will contine to cash in on people’s greed and stupidity.

craigwatson
    Participant

The whole point is he has made it a “bus with wings”, I cant get my head around people moaning so much about FR, yet will still get on a train/bus (ok maybe not a bus with this crowd, but you get my meaning) for 2 – 3 hours and pay up to 100’s of £ for the pleasure, and not complain.

Yet you can get on FR for a 2-3 hour flight and pay £10 all in if you dont have fixed dates, and people jump all over him.

Dont look at FR as an airline, look at it as public transport or a ” bus with wings”.

MarkCymru
    Participant

Spirit — a particularly unpleasant American carrier — already does this. You can take a very small carry-on for free but you must store it under the seat in front of you. If you want a normal carry-on or to use the overheads, you pay up to $100. I think that Wizz Air has started it too. Business travellers will be fine (as we pay in advance and know how to play the rules) but the poor leisure travellers will be fleeced again as they are with the extortionate boarding card re-printing fee

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Agree with the previous posts about some kind of enforced limit, or charge for excess, of hand luggage. Flybe and easyJet for example have the gauges at the gate, although enforcement by the gate staff seems to vary. But BA seems to have little or nothing in place to stop the multiple bag carrier, especially on short haul.

Canucklad if only baggage reclaim was 15 minutes then some of them might have more confidence to check it into the hold where it should be. Only Tom Otley’s hold luggage in a flight review ever arrives within this time. At LHR domestic arrivals both T1 and 5, it can amount to the same as the time in the air. In fact the reclaim areas would be a good income opportunity for Starbucks etc with such a captive audience with nothing else to do but stand and wait. Your baggage could come up on Passbook when it’s a few metres away from the belt.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ LuganoPirate – 08/11/2012 14:15 GMT

And let’s face it, for any of us who’ve been to and travelled on the other side of the pond, people packing this kind of girth and weight are far from uncommon.

Do US airlines now insist on such pax buying two seats or do they charge for breakages? Never having flown on US LCCs, do they now put pax on the baggage scales and charge by weight and volume? It can only be a matter of time.

canucklad
    Participant

Bunnahabhain. I’ve had to laugh at your comment about baggage re-claiming time

I always wondered why my luggage took as long to travel the last 100 yards than it took to travel from Scotland to T1. And wasn’t that dainty pink tag suppose to give it a wee boost akin to a vodka and red bull!

Alas all too often my bag appeared stumbling and bumbling down the belt dead last. Looking as tired as somene who drunk all the vodka and forgot the red bull!

I actually started to have a quick half in the DC lounge before heading up to re-claim

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ canucklad – 08/11/2012 21:42 GMT
    @ Bunnahabhain

The problem with this thread is that, if O’Blarney chances to read it, he might yet get the further idea of an “Enhanced/Express baggage reclaim option” as opposed to the simply, grotesquely expensive bog-standard baggage reclaim option…

It really can only be a matter of time before he starts weighing passengers at check-in, charging by the kilo and then billing for oxygen consumption.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

There’s a spoof safety demonstration online which adopts Ryanair’s model, funny but somehow concerning that it will soon be a reality.

Should the cabin air supply fail, insert £2 and the oxygen mask will appear. You can save by pre-paying for oxygen now, only £5 a minute compared with £15 at the point of decompression.

There was also a good cartoon with MOL charging Stelios £2 to use a sick bag.

Imagine what they’d charge for a Bunnahabhain 18 year old.

Shearer
    Participant

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Just come across this 2009 C4 “Dispatches” on Flyanscare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi-x_UgTTOQ&feature=related

“Two Dispatches undercover reporters spent FIVE MONTHS [my emphasis] secretly filming Ryanair’s training programme and on board flights as members of the cabin crew . The reporters reveal what really takes place behind the scenes: inadequate safety and security checks, dirty planes, exhausted cabin crew and pilots complaining about the number of hours they have to fly. And watch Ryanair staff speaking frankly about their experiences and attitudes towards passengers”.

The company motto is effectively: you pay next to nothing, so that is what you get by way of service. For every failing identified in the film, Ryanair came up with one excuse after another, all of which amounted to “bugger off!” You have to wonder how much, if anything, has changed this was filmed in 2009.

For the attention of our BA cabin crew members, how about working for an airline where YOU pay £1,400 to be trained – BTW, the training didn’t include any practice in aircraft evacuation – YOU pay £25 monthly for hire of your uniform and where you get paid £14 per short sector and £19 per long(er) sector? Didn’t think so!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls