Ryanair considering carry on bag charge

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Anonymous

PatJordan
    Participant

Just saw this on an Irish national paper:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ryanair-now-considers-carryon-bag-charge-3285213.html

What a carry on (pun most definitely intended) !!

Bruce98
    Participant

For once, they are not the first in the race to plumb the depths of money extraction

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2012/10/wizz-air-to-charge-for-some-hand-luggage

canucklad
    Participant

Typical that they are just behaving in their grubby greedy way to fleece you.

Forgetting FRightair for the moment I would actually like to see all airlines bring into play a charge for carrying on excessive luggage!

I would start by saying that eac seat has its own dedicated space allocated in the overhead bins.

As a very light traveller the amount of times I’ve walked onto the aircraft with the smallest of small holdalls and not been able to store above really p***es me off

So called professional people behaving like refugees from a war zone so they can save 15 minutes of their life checking and collecting what should be hold luggage.

I pay for my seat, so give me my own wee space above me.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Canucklad

But the problem is, you don’t pay for your seat.

Or rather, we don’t pay enough for seats on budget airlines. The typical headline fare doesn’t start to cover the cost of the seat. So the airlines have to raise their money elsewhere. And since this is most unpopular they hide the charges where they can (eg ridiculous booking fees that bear no relation to the cost of processing a booking), and when the authorities stop that they simply look elsewhere for money.

There is a word for this sort of activity – dishonesty. And it is driven by the insane need to be seen to offer “cheap” flights. And this in turn is driven by the fact that there is a class of customers who find a “£5 flight” (a) credible and (b) irresistible. When the truth is that it is neither irresistible, nor credible, nor even in the end a £5 flight.

Given the profits Ryanair earn, their analysis that their target customers are greedy, stupid and prepared to forgive dishonesty and dissembling is correct. Which says more about the customers than the airline I am afraid.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

But I agree 100% about people bringing on excessive hand luggage! Maybe airlines should just start actually implementing their rules ….

Stringfellow
    Participant

Perhaps with regard to luggage it is time to return to the days of aviation past. At Croydon Airport in the 1930’s people and their luggage were considered a ‘package’ there was a total weight allowance, weight more, carry less.

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/Then–Now-A-Weighty-Matter.html

canucklad
    Participant

Firstly folk’s apologies for the tardy FR Alicante return review .will follow soon

Cedric…..I do agree that some fares are ludicrously low and dishonesty is a trait of FR, but as I’ve said elsewhere my company forked out £237 for a flight between Prestwick and Derry…..Flight time 20 minutes!! Not Cheap!! No choice

And I admit to following into the category of “that’s so cheap, it would be rude not to take advantage”

If organised and booked correctly and more importantly smartly, I can, for the most part pay less for a weekend away in Eastern Europe than a Saturday night in Edinburgh! And that’s including airfare and hotels! Stick to O’Learyair rules and you’re ok.

Once you’ve confirmed payment the contract is that they “the airline” get you there …. I need a seat and somewhere to stow my paltry hand luggage, that’s all I ask regardless of LCC or Legacy.

lloydah
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more canucklad, in fact last time that happened to me – the end of a long day as well – I simply pulled the offending case out of “my” overhead and placed it in the aisle. The cc then saw it and went round trying to find the owner who was sitting near the back. Was I antisocial, yes I expect so, rude – could be, but it made me feel better and hopefully put the thoughtless bu**er out somewhat.

PatJordan
    Participant

It just gets better…..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/9661829/Seatbelts-on-planes-are-pointless-says-Ryanair-boss.html

Mind you, Mr. O’Leary may well be correct in thinking that standing places would sell out first. Would that make the remaining seats the equivalent of Ryanair Business Class??

Shearer
    Participant

Some of his pronouncements I find very distasteful, yet, there are often some good points hidden amongst the rants.

“The problem with aviation is that for 50 years it’s been populated by people who think it’s this wondrous sexual experience; that it’s like James Bond and wonderful and we’ll all be flying first class when really it’s just a bloody bus with wings

However he understands fully that some people like to be spoiled. As does he as he flew J on honeymoon to Mauritius. But he doesn’t want that market.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ canucklad – 07/11/2012 09:26 GMT

I have been scarcely able to contain my expectation of the next side-splitting saga on Fryanscare…

@ PatJordan – 07/11/2012 21:33 GMT

Streuth, April Fools Day is becoming like Groundhog Day this year….

canucklad
    Participant

The standing room only cabin has done the rounds before.

I’m sure he got the idea from a chinese carrier a couple of years ago.

AD…will make a start on the review today.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’m surprised people still fall for these blatant exposure seeking revelations….but it’s obviously working!

Stringfellow
    Participant

‘VintageKrug’ – I think very few people take him seriously even in the media. I have a friend who works for the Times and it seems Ryanair send out these silly press releases all the time but only the odd one makes it into the paper presumably on slow news days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls