Ryanair – Business Plus

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• MartinJ
    Participant

MrMichael – 28/08/2014 06:47 GMT “I would not criticise Mr O,Leary, he has turned a minor crummy little airline in to one of the biggest in the world”. I DO criticise him as he acts as if the end justified the means. While he has shown his love for shareholders he has showered passengers and staff with contempt and this is why I avoid Ryanair, one of the airline business’ ugliest faces.

canucklad
    Participant

Well fellow BTer’s ,
    What a momentous day for this forum, cue balloons and the popping of champagne corks…..
    Well maybe a nice bottle of chilled Pomagne…..

Bejeez, Bejeez, Bejeez……. FRightenair can now officially be welcomed as a legitimate business airline. Time for us all to celebrate, as we now have even more choice. And how long before lounge access becomes the norm ??
    So raise your glasses to toast, St. Michael of Westmeath for guiding us to comfort with much cheapness.

Now, that my sarcasm is over…..I’m going to make an appeal to you Michael!!
    Don’t do it—we’re just not worth all the trouble you’re going to, if you give us a sniff of comfort, then our heads will start to demand the aromatic fragrances of luxury.

And when me and mates purchase a bargain basement ticket on FRaughtair, heading off to some exotic blue collar paradise, my expectations are lower than a rattle snakes belly in the middle of Death Valley. So, I certainly don’t want to find myself sitting next to a snobby suit sipping coffee whilst I’m quaffing beer and cider at 8.00 in the morning. Keep this business pretence up and I might find myself having to indulge my flying alcoholic habit with BA ……. Oh, and they don’t charge for food or drink, and their sale is quite completive, now that you’ve gone UPMARKET !! ……

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_gb

So, please don’t do it…leave your airline the way it is…..cheap, plastic, friendly (in the air) and most importantly of all , reliably consistent !!

VectorOne
    Participant

I am thankful for the existence of Ryanair for one single reason – he helped bring affordable air fares to Ireland.

I still remember the days of the EI/BA stranglehold on the Ireland/UK routes when it cost a weeks wages to fly to London, when flying was a “privilege”, where you almost felt as if you had to tip your cap to the ticket agent, the checkin agent, and the air hostess and all the bull crap that went with that (Apex, Superapex…god it seems so alien now). And we had to pump millions of tax payers money into keeping the airline going. Talk about people colluding in their own oppression!

Just yesterday I looked at fares for a forthcoming trip to the UK…Euro105 for 2 people flying into LGW with FR as distinct to Euro279 with EI to LHR.
    We have come a long way.

So thank you Michael O’Leary for giving me the choice of which airline I spend my money with…for giving me the opportunity of saving Euro174 on that trip alone…for democratizing air travel so that people who normally had to take ferries and coaches can now choose to fly. For that in itself he deserves a humanitarian award.

I don’t think it’s in MO’L’s or Ryanairs DNA to pander to the ego of business travelers by providing lounges, hot towels etc. but he will erode other airlines share of this market. EI’s business offering is going further downhill (no on board exec service unlike BA, pay of your on-board food and drink, lounges with the poorest food offering available and at a charge of Euro25) and they still charge exec fares in the Euro400 bracket. His strategy will force other airlines to look at their business offering and we will all feel the benefits of that, even if you never set foot on a Ryanair plane.

So well done MO’L. Don’t worry about the naysayers – they will always be there. Just keep doing what you’ve always done and run one of the most successful airlines in the history of aviation.

Nice touch canucklad and VectorOne.

Don Miguel, I am formally awarding you a virtual Gold medal as you put it much better than I ever could!!

StewartK
    Participant

As one of the people living relatively near to Stansted who use Ryanair for flights to places which no one else serves I’m pleased to hear their news and will certainly book’ business class’ where and when available.

I have to say that I find the constant criticisms of this airline and its endlessly entertaining boss pall a little when I compare their price, convenience and reliability with other low-cost airlines and the legacy carriers.

Why should I struggle down the A1 and M25 to LHR or LGW when I can drive 38 miles to STN or 48 miles to NOR or LTN?

MrMichael
    Participant

MartinJ, I think the end does justify the means. Ryanair is probably the cheapest for a pax mile for mile, it has one of the best on time performances, its safety record (I know there are doubters out there) cannot be intelligently challenged. Not only that, it makes money. We read on BT time and time again of airlines haemoraging money….not Ryanair, not other well run LoCo’s that concentrate on the LoCo model and then try to do other things. Will the 787 gamble of Norwegian payoff….we will wait and see. Qantas!

Nobody has been hurt by Ryanair or its model, just like nobody was hurt by cheap MFI furnituer in black ash. It might not be for us, but why knock people that want to sell it and those that want to buy it.

I Absolutely agree you should not use it if you do not like the business, I like the business model from a business point of view, just not from a traveller point of view so I will not use it either. Later this year I am booked on my first LoCo flight (if you exclude FlyBe that I do not consider LoCo), Easyjet to Egypt. I am looking forward to my holiday, not the flight. But my flight was half the price of Egyptair/BA with no changes, and much better timings (for me) so saving a great deal of time and money. If it was Ryanair I doubt I would have taken the plunge. Why…purely be4cause I will not be treated like that. But people know how they are treated with ryanair and have the choice to book or not to book, to comply with the rules of travel or not. Choice. Like the old BCal advert, we never forget you have a choice…..Ryanair know it….BA/Egyptair know it.

It used to be that both BA and Egyptair used 777’s on Cairo and Egyptair used 747’s on Luxor flights, now with LoCo’s in the market it is A320’s and 737’s and lower fares. Why, competition. It is the competition from the LoCo’s that have made the legacy carriers wise up, save money and compete for the benefit of everybody, including those that will not use LoCo’s, we have all benefitted.

andystock
    Participant

On the whole subject of Ryanair, rec’d. An email from Amex with a £10 off any Ryanair flight, limited to the first 8250 sign ups! Signed up. (Will not work with an BA Amex but works with the Gold Amex). A few years back Ryanair refused to accept amex now they are doing offers with amex!!!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

There are some good points being made here. Whatever we think of Ryanair, and whether or not we’d fly with them, MOL has done an amazing job in getting 80 million plus bums on seats a year. Compare this to BA’s 40 million and it makes you wonder what would have happened if BA had gone totally LoCo.

He’s also been fatality free. There’ve been a couple of incidents but no more than any of the Legacy’s and while there was some criticism a few years ago I believe remedies were put in place and they are no longer the subject of those safety debates.

A friend of mine just flew to Belfast (or Dublin, not sure) with them for £19 all in and while she hates FR the saving of well over £100 makes her put up with them.

As I said,I wouldn’t fly them but I do have to acknowledge they are a very successful airline and good luck to them.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls