Rumours of Liverpool to Heathrow service

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• travelsforfun
    Participant

I flew Luton-Liverpool back in 2000 when easyJet was flying the route – it was the cheapest way of doing a day-trip to Manchester (leaving in the AM Peak, also counting the train option). That was before Liverpool South Parkway rail station had opened; still, having to take a bus shuttle is still more annoying than when the train directly serves the airport.

But back to the question, there’s a chance that BA might be up for more slot sitting – perhaps with a token daily service like the one they’re starting to Inverness. But I can’t see there being enough demand to justify a valuable Heathrow slot long-term – even KLM couldn’t make a Liverpool route work when Manchester provides excellent access to much of the same catchment.

For the foreseeable future, the most likely route will be a premium point-to-point, as VLM flew, into London City. but even that’s hard to see working given the far superior frequencies offered by rail and rather competitive journey times.

And yes, there’s been some talk about opening RAF Northolt to scheduled flights – but I think that would be hugely challenging to secure.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

727jesmond – 02/03/2016 12:14 GMT

Your right about the train being fast.

I left Euston at 19:35 tonight and stepped into a taxi at Lancaster at 22:02.

244 miles, 2h37.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

For Northolt to become “T6”, there would have to be a fast connection to Heathrow and Gatwick as well as a revamp of road design..

What Northolt has achieved is moving a significant amount of Private flights away from Heathrow.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls