Rumours of Liverpool to Heathrow service

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

JeffD
    Participant

I overheard a conversation in the BA lounge last week. The two gentlemen were talking about the possibility of Liverpool to London flights restarting. I have used this previously flown this route on Air Wales and VLM into London City Airport. But from what I overheard they said it was a planned route into Heathrow. I know its wrong to listen to other peoples conversations but occasionally when they are practically shouting at each other passengers further down the lounge would have heard this conversation let alone me. Can anyone please confirm if these rumours are true ?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can’t answer but I doubt it would be BA. Manchester is nearby and I thought BA were cutting their flights to/from the regions?

JeffD
    Participant

@LuganoPirate

I managed to find a newspaper article.Flybe are campaigning for civilian flights in RAF Northolt. They quote Liverpool as a possible route should the airport be declassified for passenger traffic. So I guess it’s watch this space, but personally I do not think it will happen.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’d be surprised. Unless it was anything to do with the Little Red slots.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

I would be gobsmacked. With MAN down the road I just can’t see how any airline could hope to make money using an LHR slot in this way. Aside from that, I don’t see how any full service airline would even want to risk its brand with the John Lennon Airport experience. It is a total hell hole.

openfly
    Participant

LPL-LGW would make sense.

SimonS1
    Participant

If BA can’t make LGW to Manchester work then I’d be surprised if there was much of a case for Liverpool.

In the years I worked up there I found it easier to get from Liverpool to Manchester airport by train than to Liverpool airport where the nearest station is miles away.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Actually I wouldn’t be that surprised if this happened. BA’s withdrawal from the regions happened nearly 10 years ago but based on more recent trends there has been a slow drift back with LHR-LBA, LHR-INV this year, weekend holiday flights from EDi, etc.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

remember back mid 60’s missing my LHR flight to Belfast – no problem as I was quickly & freely re-routed LHR-Liverpool-Belfast (must have been BEA but can’t really remember other than feeling stupid at having missed the direct)

esselle
    Participant

I cant see LPL/LGW working as a point to point route, neither LPL/LHR, but MAN/LHR works well as a feeder route, so I can’t see the benefit for BA to offer LPL as an alternative.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The last airline to operate LPL-LHR was British Midland using DC-9s.

At that time it was hoped the route would succeed. But it didn’t.

727jesmond
    Participant

I use both Liverpool and Manchester Airport’s, and personally The Hell Hole of an Airport in by far Manchester, its an awful place, just hate it !As far as a Liverpool to London route, the train is so fast these days, Gatwick maybe possible as no MAN-LGW anymore. Easyjet did LPL-LTN once, that was popular until UK airport taxes killed it !

727jesmond
    Participant

The nearest station is about a few miles, its new called Liverpool South Parkway, it offers an Airport Link

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I seem to recall a while back Liverpool Airport saying they had big expansion plans. I don’t think anything came of them? Perhaps this is just wishful thinking!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls