Rumour: Air France to Abolish ShortHaul European Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

I suppose this could threaten KLM’s Europe Select cabin as well.

The source is an article in Le Figaro, only in French, below:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2009/09/07/04015-20090907ARTFIG00309-air-france-veut-supprimer-sa-classe-business-sur-l-europe-.php

A similar story has appeared in Oinglish, set out below:

——————————————————————————–

Air France’s management has the project to eliminate business class seats on medium-haul flights to increase the capacity of the economy class and face the massive transfer of business travelers to the rear of the aircraft since the beginning of the economic crisis.

This project is in the office of Bruno Matheu, executive vice president in charge of the network. It should be decided in October to an application early in the year 2010 at the time of entry into new flights timetable.

“Nothing is decided yet, said a spokesman for the group. Until today we had a strategy of continuity of service between medium and long-haul flight. Our discussion is whether we can continue on this model.

In other words, the European traveler (Berlin or London, for example) who wants to go to U.S. with Air France via Paris, now buys a ticket in business class for its flights.

Starting next year, he will perhaps have no other choice but to make his flight to Paris in economy class before flying on a long-haul business class.

This reform will therefore concern only the flights in Europe and not the long-haul flights.

“Be one step ahead”

Air France’s short and medium-haul business activity is strongly hit by three phenomena: the economic crisis, of course, but also the TGV competition for short-haul flights, and low-cost companies competition on medium-haul flights.

“Our business model is based on economic growth, explains Air France. We need a 4% growth to be able to reduce our unit costs. With this unprecedented crisis, we must change the business model.

The opening of the new TGV lines and European high speed projects are all threats to the company. When a TGV line is created, the market share of the aircraft facing the train reduces from 70 to 30%.

Air France has been studying for one year the opportunity to develop TGV with Veolia. Officially, the project is not abandoned. But it has stalled for several months. For now, nor any alliance with a low-cost airline has been announced.

There were rumors before the summer of merger between Air France and easyJet.

But they have since been disproved.

“We must hurry,” says Air France management, “this crisis is unprecedented and if we want to maintain our leading position, we must always be one step ahead.”

——————————–

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AF is taking quite a risk if this move goes ahead. Alright, it’s possible that passengers flying wholly within Europe won’t mind but what about connecting premium class passengers ?
    First and business class long-haul passengers flying through AF’s CDG hub appreciate the extra perks and space which business class affords on the short-haul connection.
    If AF were to abolish short-haul business class it risks losing valuable connecting traffic to the likes to BA, LH and LX.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I don’ see AF logic?

I fly KLM often, & its true of one year ago, there maybe 10 rows of Business class on a LHR-AMS flight with the curtain moved back, now there are maybe 3-4 max!

However, the seats are the same, so they have flexibility to have them whichever class they wish, day by day. If they offered a different seat or 2 in 3 etc, I could understand, but they do not.
    I rarely fly AF, in fact i avoid them as they simply don’t meet the same standards on Board or in the lounges of KLM (great that the Brand was kept!). I also find CDG a nightmare to travel in & out of the Schengen area, & you need 1.5 hrs to connect through from UK to Europe.

“Cutting you cloth” in the current climate is understandable, but why take the scissors out, when you just move the curtain forwards?

They deserve to lose Business, & a whole market of Business loyalty if they go ahead…

Senator
    Participant

It is perhaps not a great loss, as the Air France intra-Europe business class experience is fairly poor? I would rate AF and KLM at the bottom of the experience scale.

Other European airlines of smaller scale (Air Lingus, SAS, BMI) with smaller inter-continental fleets have scrapped business class all together, or removed it from certain routes. I know SAS has consider this, but a survey among Eurobonus Gold members showed that 10% would always pay business class (almost) regardless of price.

On personal travel in Europe, I tend to use LX and BA as they offer business upgrades for a small surcharge.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Do agree.
    Whilst i use KLM often, there is little difference between Europe Select, & economy, & if you hold the FB Gold or platinum card, all the extra benefits of the program for travel as with a business fare
    I certainly don’t like AF in Europe at all…in any class.

However, KLM ii finde of the best economy experiences, & the fleet is really excellent & very comfortable to fly on with the 737-8/900’s, & the new 700’s, & Emb. aircraft.
    Perhaps spoilt with the ability to transit Schipol, a favourite amongst many EU travellers above all…

Senator
    Participant

I do agree about the AMS airport. I am not however, so impressed with the KLM lounges. Perhaps I have missed something.

Whilst the BA Galleries lounge at T5 is gigantic, perhaps almost too big, I found it the best “Business” lounge in Europe. If this is what Silver Card holders/Business class passangers get, I wonder what the Gold lounge looks like as well as the Concorde Room.

I do believe this is a superior product to AF/KLM in AMS/CDG and the LH/LX/OS Business/Frequent Traveller (Silver card) offers at respective home airports. The Senator Lounges (Gold) is another story all together. I am surprised that AF/KLM does not offer a Platinum Lounge, but group Gold/Platinum/Business Class in one lounge.

I have a FB Platinum Card which I managed to “negotiate” on a trial basis for the year on the basis of 250k miles annually with LH M&M. After a few trips on KLM/AF in Europe and Asia, I have made no effort to maintain this as I believe there are better products out there. I think I have enough for Silver or Gold, but I am done trying to maintain this moving forward.

I do however, like the KLM staff. They are excellent!

Hess963
    Participant

I agree what my recent commentators have shared. The airline industry is always in competition and the frequent travellers want the best for there money. If AF decides to abolish BC as most of the frequent travellers in Europe think it is not worth the money paying for, so it is only the right choice. I as a frequent traveller and customer expect the best for my money as I am willing to pay the price which is tag on it. So it is only fair to expect a decent BC seat, food/beverage and service. I now that with my next comment some of you will be rolling their eyes but eventhough—-why is it for European airlines so hard to be or at least nearer to be like the Asian airlines in term of regional seating, service, food/beverage…. This is a globalise world and the aviation market is getting closer and smaller. SQ owning shares of VS etc… It is time that European airlines really consider of improving those addressed sectors earlier. The European frequent flyers and those who are willing to pay premium fares will no longer tolerate such inferior products and services. But most of all the excuses that Asian concepts do not reflects the European concepts or types etc.. What a ………..!!! Please wake up– all of the European airlines !!! Try to hear what your customers want and most of all take the suggestions of your valuable frequent flyers seriously than in the end of the day—without our paying pockets–there is no YOU !!!

andrew007
    Participant

Having flown on KLMs Europe Select as recently as yesterday I do not see how it will increase capacity of the AF rumour proves to be true and KLM were to follow. The 737-800 had 5 rows of C lass seats in a 3-3 configeration, all were taken. The only difference was the food offering – I commented on this extensively in my latest post on business class food and for a 1 hour flight, was more than content. I have to say that my feeling is the AF short haul option in C class does not match and in respect of the side debate that has broken out in this thread over EU airports, the set up at Skippol for C class KLM travelers is head and shoulders above that for AF clients at CDG.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls