Rule disallowing passengers to check-in more than 3 hour before a flight?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• TS-Andy
    Participant

Thank you all for the inputs.

While I appreciate that an airline may have factors to consider such as 3rd party lounge access, additional hours for deploying ground staff for check-on, I would be very annoyed if SIA (having won many accolades)pulled a fast one in their written reply to my suggestion to extend the 3-hour check-in by conveniently putting the blame solely on the Airport’s control. If SIA replied that due to cost issues, I would understand but it would be up to me whether I thought SIA is listening to its customers.

I usually have no issues on the 3-hour check-in rule. But on one occasion, there was long queue for showers in the business class lounge (operated by Air China) for a mid-night flight. With long queue even in business class check-in counters (all waiting eagerly to check-in) , immigration clearance queue, security clearance queue, the last thing we want is queuing for showers.

Str8Talking
    Participant

+1 on trying to check in at T5 more than 3 hours ahead if you don’t have status!

Was SQ saying that they are not allowed to check in passengers early, or that they can only have the check in desks open 3 hours before the flight, or that their contract is to only have them open for so long therefore they can’t accomodate requests of earlier check in?… I would say there are many interpretations to “not allowed by the airport” and therefore unfair to compare to other situations and other airlines.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TS-Andy
    Participant

Yes, SQ said they are not allowed to check-in earlier than 3 hours due to airport’s control. But there is not such control for China Eastern Airlines ( their home ground) at the same airport tough at different terminals.

My question is: Is SQ trying to pull a fast one?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I don’t know, but there are certainly some airports who appear to provide ‘home advantage’ to the local carrier.

Some are even owneed by the local carrier.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TS-Andy
    Participant

Seems like an unfair “trade practice” as on the other side in Singapore China Eastern Airlines can check-in passengers earlier than 3 hours.

ChrisJR
    Participant

First time I flew out of LHR T5, which was in June 2008, I arrived just over 4 hours before the flight and was told that only passengers travelling in Premium cabins (Business and First, presumably therefore OW Emerald and Sapphire as it is now) could check-in more than 4 hours before the flight (I was in business so there was no problem). Maybe it has changed now.

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=729371]Seems like an unfair “trade practice” as on the other side in Singapore China Eastern Airlines can check-in passengers earlier than 3 hours.

[/quote]

Andy, I suspect it’s more to do with airport logistics and that’s one of the reasons SIN is consistently voted one of the best airports in the world.

It’s not all carriers there though, I know TG limit bag acceptance times for passengers in economy class, no problems in business but it’s handled in a different area.

BrotherJim
    Participant

[quote quote=729371]Seems like an unfair “trade practice” as on the other side in Singapore China Eastern Airlines can check-in passengers earlier than 3 hours.

[/quote]

Don’t see how. It is clearly what SQ is paying for. No doubt SQ could pay more to have the desks manned all day (maybe the do, I don’t know) and maybe SQ could pay more to store bags longer too.

Mentioned it before but Qantas in Sydney has only just in the past few years allowed all day check-in at the international terminal, and the reason they didn’t offer it before was baggage storage issues. The international airport is run by the airport, not Qantas and the airport allocates loading bays for the baggage carts 3 hours before, so if pax check in before the bags had to be stored somewhere. When Qantas first trailed all day it was limited to, if I recall just first class (and maybe business,) and what they did was after checking in the bags kept them behind the desk until 3 hours before when they were sent down into the airport system.

Conversely at Qantas domestic they run the terminal, so had no such issues with baggage storage, so it was something that has been allowed for as long as I remember.

Maybe similar thing at Shanghi. Maybe China Eastern runs or has more control over the terminal they use so can offer longer check-in.

stevescoots
    Participant

From experiance it very much depends on the airline although never had a problem where the Airline was at its home base. outside of home base I have had it many times being unable to check in. I have also had the problem in India before where I could not even get into the airport before check in time. I had a stop over in Dehli, As it was 7 hours from landing to taking off with BA I decided not to get a hotel but to crash in the lounge instead…big mistake. after landing and transfering to international terminal security would not let me in the building without a ticket, e-ticket was not good enough. I ended up laying down on the kerbside for about 4 hours during the night with my bags fighting off the heat and beggers. I could only get in when the BA checkin staff started working and then came to the door with their list. this wasnt isolated to BA, it was Airport policy at the time sometime around 2005

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

CX at T1 at Changi allows check in from 24 hours prior to flight departure. CX has a storage facility there which might not be available at every airport

PeterCoultas
    Participant

I’m a bit puzzled by this thread…I cannot remember when it has not been possible to check in on line around 24 hours in advance (returning from Australia on SQ 18 months ago included). Checking hold baggage is a different story and can be a problem when travelling with wives as then the baggage deposits are not open so far in advance.
    In a slightly different context (escaping crashed planes) why not charge for carry-on and leave hold baggage free. Such an approach would seriously reduce the problems of idiots trying to collect their belongings in serious situations and (assuming the hand-bag payment was noted on the “ticket”) need not cause problems for those (like me) who can travel hand-bag only.

icenspice
    Participant

Previous evening check-in is possible at Luxembourg and has been for as long as I remember, but only for Luxair flights departing between 0600 and 0900.

I have never done it because I never pack so early and such an ungodly start is a last resort ?

jsn55
    Participant

Not a ruling, but a business decision. Staffing, luggage moving and storing … airlines see no point in spending more money than they need to on these kinds of things.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=731251]First time I flew out of LHR T5, which was in June 2008, I arrived just over 4 hours before the flight and was told that only passengers travelling in Premium cabins (Business and First, presumably therefore OW Emerald and Sapphire as it is now) could check-in more than 4 hours before the flight (I was in business so there was no problem). Maybe it has changed now. [/quote]

Nope. Junior Offspring was denied check-in when arriving about four hours early just a month or two ago (she is in boarding school, and the school make sure the overseas students get to the airport with PLENTY of time!!)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls