Round the world reward ticket with Avios

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

According to a tweet I received from Avios this morning, it is no more possible to book a round the world ticket with miles (well Avios). Can you believe it? Do you have any idea how to deal with this? Multi-leg tickets would cost far too many miles…

continentalclub
    Participant

Round The World awards weren’t available using BA Miles, so I presume that you’re referring to a change from the former Air Miles programme, Swissdiver.

I’m not so familiar with that programme, but if they were previously available and there has been a change, then presumably it is to bring it into line with the former BA Miles situation.

Anecdotally, most of my colleagues seem to use oneworld RTW tickets (AONE4 etc) to collect Avios and Tier Points, usually purchased for commencement in one of the ‘low cost’ zones and using a mileage ticket to position in the first place.

Swissdiver
    Participant

continentalclub,

It was available! Few years ago I made a world tour using BA Miles…

continentalclub
    Participant

In which case, the change to the BA Miles situation must have occurred some time after your redemption, but certainly well before the Autumn 2011 Avios launch, Swissdiver.

Having had a quick look online, there are plenty of threads and comments on other sites going back more than a year discussing only being able to use BA Miles for one-way and roundtrip itineraries, not multistop RTWs. I can’t yet find any that flag up a change date though.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Funny… I did it just before a change though at the end of 2003. It that time it “costed” me 160’000 miles per ticket (business class), 6 legs max. That said, I asked a couple of years ago about it again and was given the information (depending on the number of miles to fly, from 200’000 to 240’000 if my memory serves).

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

Not liking this Avios, I could use to change my ticket for free when booked with BA miles now with Avios they want to make pay to much.

continentalclub
    Participant

Are you referring to a change for members based in Europe, ChrisBuda82?

For UK members, I’m not aware that any amendment was made to the fee schedule for changes and cancellations upon the launch of Avios:

http://tidd.ly/17104b2c

These fees came in some years ago, and whilst they can represent a significant proportion of the comparable revenue fare for a short haul economy booking, they’re arguably relatively nominal in the context of a de facto flexible long haul premium cabin booking.

Gold Card holders remain exempt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls