Roaming charges in EU since 15 JUN 17

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• handbag
    Participant

The good thing with three , is that it is not just in Europe that you can use as at home, but lots of other destinations around the world.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Even if you were in Irish waters Capetonian, as you rightly say the SIM card can only pick up one signal, and if it’s jumping between say France and Ireland or the UK and Ireland then those breaks would show and you would lose your signal during the changeover of provider. I often cross from Switzerland to Italy and VV and using either my UK, SA (Vodacom as well) or Swiss phone this always happens.

As a by the way, I’m on PAYG with Vodacom and I pay just R.5 per minute to make and receive call to South Africa, which is way cheaper than any of the other networks I use. Same rate for roaming in Europe and most of southern Africa as well.

capetonianm
    Participant

Thanks LP.
    I spend a lot of time travelling between different countries by land and sea (obviously by air doesn’t count as the phone is always either off or in flight mode, isn’t it!), and nothing like this has ever come up on my account before.

I also use Voda Prepay. It’s relatively expensive for calls within ZA but the other benefits outweigh the cost and most of my calls are short anyway.

K1ngston
    Participant

A tip if I may capetonianm, a few years ago I had an issue in South Africa where I thought I was on wifi and wasnt and my data bill back to Singapore was huge…

I went absolutely ape with them telling them I had not received notice of consumption which is a pre requisite, in other words you should have received SMS from your provider telling you of your consumption. If these were not received shout merry “bloody” hell as your argument will be that you had no idea of the consumption this is “bill shock” and you will be seeking legal council on it …..

Who is the provider??

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I am in Sheremetovo Airport and supposed I was using the £5 roaming on Vodafone for European roaming, as I have previously on trips here. instead I got a text saying I am suing data “in our Aerospace and Maritime Zone at £6 per MB.

I can only imagine it’s because after we landed I turned on my phone and it connected to the OnAir system on board.

£6 per MB !!!!!!

thecartoonman
    Participant

@handbag

Agreed, it’s brilliant as it includes the USA as well as a number of other popular far flung destinations. Saves a fortune and means you are not always searching for free wi-fi and can carry on as if in good old blighty.

capetonianm
    Participant

`Curiouser and curiouser!’ as Alice said!

I have had an explanation (eventually) which does not really solve the problems I outlined :

“The call placed on 10/10/17 from the Netherlands to 00 31 630 xxx xxx has been charged because this is a mobile number. The new Eurotariff says that all roaming calls in EU must be charged as if they were placed from your home country. Calls to Netherlands mobiles are not included and are charged, thus they are billed the same from the Netherlands.”
    UNQUOTE

As far as I am aware that is not the case, and similar calls I have made with accounts with two other EU operators have not been charged and are shown as included, e.g. calls from Spain to Spain, UK, and CH.

My understanding has been that if I have GB phone and I am in GB, any international call will be charged, but if I am in the Eurozone, any calls to numbers iwth the Eurozone will be included.
    Eg :
    GB to EU zone – charged.
    EU zone to EU zone (including the country I’m in) included

Am I stupid, or are they trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

The more extraordinary bit is this :

Unlike you may think while looking at the call details, your date usages did not overlap each other, actually this is not duration, that should have been stated on the calls details sheet for EU roaming but data volume in Kbyte (as national data for instance). There has been a format mistake on the invoice.
    10s must be read as 10 kb
    3h02mn20s must be understood as 3×3600+2×60+20=10800+120+20=10940 Kb (i.e 10.68 Mb)
    I deeply apologize about this problem which is quite confusing I reckon.
    UNQUOTE

philsquares
    Participant

My understanding is as follows:

We currently spend a great deal of time in Spain and maintain a UK residence and a UK O2 account. When we use our UK phone in Spain to call the UK, it is as if we are in the UK and any calls are either covered under your allowance or charged as if you were in the UK. If we are in the UK and have to call Spain, we use the Spanish phone and we are billed at the local rate as if we were actually in Spain. It comes out of our allowance of unlimited calls.

I was recently in Germany and needed to make some local calls and those calls were placed using my Spanish phone and the calls were billed as if I was in Spain calling Germany. (It is cheaper to use the Spanish phone vs. the UK phone for international calls).

The system worked as it should have. There is no blanket free calls (assuming you have unlimited calls in your own country) once you are in an EU country to any other EU country as you don’t get that in your home country. Basically, you can use your mobile in any listed country as if you were in your the country where the sim is issued from. The same logic applies to data usage. As long as you are in a country listed your “home country” allowance is used.

rferguson
    Participant

I think the amount of BA Cabin Crew that have switched to the Three network since it launched ‘feel at home’ speaks for how good the service is if you travel frequently (especially outside the EU). Some people get caught out and charged for things that aren’t included. For example – you can call or text a UK number when you are roaming abroad but if you call or text a number in the roaming country you are in (ie if you are in the USA and call/text a US number) you will be charged. The most common pit fall however (and one i’ve fallen into more than once) is to leave the roaming country, forget to turn the roaming off, the next week fly somewhere which doesn’t include Feel at home and boom before you even realise your phone has used its ‘fetch’ settings to receive data messages and you are obviously charged.

IMHO if you travel frequently (ESPECIALLY if its frequent travel to Feel at home destinations) I cannot recommend Three highly enough.

Tramor01
    Participant

I took up a Three contract two years ago purely for travelling in the USA.

I have a local T-Mobile SIM for US phone calls, but I use my Three service for all my data/web browsing use.
    I also use it to take incoming calls I’ve transferred from my “normal everyday” O2 number thus saving on incoming call costs
    On my return from my last US trip (around 2.5 weeks) I received a text from Three saying that my contract had apparently saved me £1,932.55 all for my £30 monthly billing

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls