RJ, any comments?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

I flew them to HKG last month, in business from MAD via AMM and BKK.

Seats were allegedly lie flat, but similar to old Finnair so not very comfortable. Food OK out of MAD and BKK, but poor out of AMM in both directions. IFE limited but OK. Wine choice poor. Staff were incredibly friendly and attentive.

Did not have Princes on my flights but on one sector, BKK>AMM I did have King Abdullah in 1K while I was in 1A. Needed a pee before landing and, queueing behind him, I realised that for a short time I was second in line for the throne.

Found having security guards on all flights a bit disconcerting, and even more when King Abdullah was on, but I guess safety is paramount. Also found it mildly disconcerting when the captain wished us a safe flight, rather than pleasant or enjoyable.

Would I fly them again? Yes, if I needed 240 status points, but not otherwise. Am looking at January and as BA is only €300 more will probably go back to an old favourite.

Talking of old favourites: How do you get a good deal on Cathay? I used to fly them almost monthly, booked through a travel agent, but now they seem way overpriced, but obviously are not. Any ideas?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Can’t comment on long haul. But usually enjoy RJ. 5 hours in Amman allows you to go down town. Depending on the schedule, there is an old Roman theatre in very good shape. And some nice restaurants. Alternatively you can go to the lowest point on earth and/or put a finger in the salty dead see… Of course you could stay at the airport but the lounges are not exactly fascinating there…

SwissExPat
    Participant

QUestion please for anyone who is a BA Exec Club member.

Did you get BA Status miles having flown in J class with RJ?

Am thinking of taking a flight with them to far east (ex ZRH)

Rgds P

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi SwissExPat. Yes, you do. J Class gets you a toatl of 480 status points for a round trip being 120 EU to AMM then 120 AMM to HK and likewise on the return, or at least it did last Autumn.

A useful way to top up status points, but the onboard experience is nowhere near BA, and the lounge at AMM is dismal. However, it is cheap:-)

oasis1221
    Participant

RJ has one the most expensive Business class fares and they dare to publish on their web site fares that are untouchable.
    They do not care to learn how the big Gulf carriers made it with the hub and spoke although QR and EK business class fares keep going up..
    I guess that they may have a different fare base for their nationals!

SwissExPat
    Participant

Thanks FaroFlyer

I assume that as a local living in Amman that RJ are not necessarily generous to their local customers!

Rgds P

Swissdiver
    Participant

Don’t book RJ on their site. Go to their local office (or call)…

Alasdair
    Participant

They are a very good airline and this a good price, more realistic for any journey over what BA and the likes charge.

The aircraft are clean/modern and the staff generally very pleasant indeed. If you find time, a little side trip in Jordan is well worth it.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I just did a 2 sector trip from Bombay to ZRH with RJ on a A319.

I would certainly use them again, especially given the 1 way price of STG 825 in J.

There were 4 rows of dedicated J class (2*2) on their A319. The seat was cradle style and IFE and food/wine were good.

The lounge and connection in Amman was hassle free. (2 hours layover)

The only ‘strange’ thing I observed on both flights is that there are ‘obviously’ 2 Air Marshals on the plane, one sitting in a crew seat outside the cockpit and another seated in Business class. They did look like you would not want to argue with them. On both flights seat 4F was not for sale at seat selection stage which was where one of them was seated.

I will look to use them again, but probably only on day flights.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Never took a RJ flight without an armed air marshal on-board. Even before 9/11.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls