Reward downgrade advice

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=924217]As far as I can see this must be for travel later in the year if the new A350 so as they have given you 14 days notice then provided they have refunded you the difference in points between First and Business then they don’t have to offer First Ground services or any other perks of First Class. This would apply as for any schedule change on a revenue ticket (you’d also be entitled to a full refund of fare / tax – would be free to make new arrangements at whatever additional cost to yourself should you decide to do so). Any other tickets are separate contracts such as the Leeds to London that you mention, thus the carrier doesn’t have to change / refund these.[/quote]

Hey Tim

Hope all is well with you.

So, I am in the same boat, albeit I am paying for my flights. I’ve paid a 1st ticket my routing below:

EDI – LHR – GRU
    GRU – LHR – DXB
    DXB – LHR – EDI

The last two sectors have been changed to the new business class, all booked via BA and all on one ticket. Am I therefore entitled to some kind of refund on the last two sectors? I’d rather change to Abu Dhabi if I am honest, because I am going to Abu Dhabi not Dubai but the prices for AD were bonkers.

TIA for any advice.
    KR
    AOTG.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi AOTG

I’d need to see how the fare is constructed – but you should in theory get a partial refund for the sectors for being downgraded – though depending on fare construction not impossible they could argue none due (as ridiculous as that sounds). They should also offer suitable alternatives onto the other flights still operating with 1st Class from DXB as a minimum. Asking for it to be rerouted to AUH is not unreasonable though they can decline that.

For some reason I feel that it could get messy with BA if they have a “computer says no” mentality rather than a common sense approach.

Ping me an email if you want me to have a look at it.

Tim

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=924368]
    For some reason I feel that it could get messy with BA if they have a “computer says no” mentality rather than a common sense approach.[/quote]

Indeed…..I’m thinking I can’t be bothered….and to be honest it will give me the chance to try their new Club World.

The issue with BA, now that I am flying them again, is that no matter how great the on-board product is (and 1st class is passable) their crew are SO hit-and-miss it isn’t funny. Last year to / from GRU my flight out was crap and the flight home excellent – all crew related.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

Antspants
    Participant

Had a call today from Alex Cruz’s office advising that I would most certainly get the F ground services and customer services were wrong. The flight isn’t entitled to compensation under EU261 as its ore departure with more than 14 days notice, they were very good when they phoned me so have accepted the downgrade and have written confirmation on the F ground services. Thank you all that have provided advice on this topic it’s been very much appreciated

Bubbastruts
    Participant

In the wording of eu261, compensation (delay or denied boarding) is subject to the 14 day notification period, reimbursement for downgrade is not. Downgrades can happen anytime after you have purchased the ticket and you should get 75% reimbursement. This is technically to be paid within 10 days in cash, cheque. Money order, although you are free to accept other compensation (points) at your sole choice.
    I have a downgrade coming up in a few months which I points for. The reimbursement should be about $4500 USD. I have notified the airline they can offer me first class on another airline (Emirates, Air France, Singapore airlines, Cathay Pacific, etc). As of my last conversation they agreed it would be 75% and they would investigate if they or the points company would be making a reimbursement offer.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls