Review: The Counter, Suffolk Street, Dublin, Ireland

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

April 2013

The Counter is an American chain. We knew where it was located on Suffolk Street and informed ourselves online at the chain’s website and Tripadvisor. The menu was tantalizing and Tripadvisor reviews good, so we decided to give it a try.

After entering we were welcomed and brought to our table.

There is a long bar and some tables in the front with much more seating in the back. The restaurant is long instead of wide. The furniture was dark with green upholstery and a long bar.

There was a family beside us and some other couples further inside.

The lighting was what some would describe as romantic or sultry, but in our opinion it was slightly too dark. There were also flat screen TVs, broadcasting a Rugby game.

The tables were on the smaller side, which caused later on problems. They are also very close to each other, so we could easily overhear what the family discussed.

We love root beer, and Hank’s is one of our favorites. Because it was on the menu, we ordered two bottles, the Taco Turkey and Grilled Chicken Burgers.

To our disappointment the waitress returned with two already opened bottles of Bundaberg Root Beer. I like it, but my better half is allergic to liquorice, so that was a problem.

We would have appreciated, if she would have told us before that there was no Hank’s available and we would have chosen a different drink. We didn’t like being told offhanded that Bundaberg and Hank’s are the same. Obviously they are not. Hank’s is from the US, Bundaberg from Australia. The ingredients aren’t the same, and the taste is different.

The burgers arrived after a little wait. They were open faced and looked delicious. They smelled good too. My Grilled Chicken Burger was okay, but nothing to write home about. His Taco Turkey was tasteless. The portions were large, but didn’t make full, so I believe we had eaten a lot of empty calories.

The desserts didn’t tickle our fancy, so we skipped them and settled our bill of 26.40 Euro (ca. 34.50 USD) excluding tip.

Would we return? Probably not. Unfortunately our expectations weren’t met, and the price seems to be high for what we received.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls