returning to QR

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

stevescoots
    Participant

QR used to be my go to airline for many years flying to Asia, starting something like 8 years ago. I found it very hard to fault them and they brought a great product to the market that no-one could touch at the pricing, I always looked forward to a QR flight. Then they joined OW and as if by magic the pricing all went up overnight from an average 1800 into HKG to 2500, the reward flights harder to get and I moved on to the likes of EK, KLM and using the Ex EU BA wheeze gratefully informed about on this forum. It’s been about 18 months since my last QR flight (burning points) and 2 years since I last paid for a ticket. I have read a few reviews that looks like their standards have dropped so when my TC got me good price on their return to flying out of BHX I jumped at it. My status with QR had dropped to silver from platinum and will go burgundy by octoberish so I opted to stick the points on my BA card as I cannot see QR keeping this pricing for too long. So, what did this old QR hand think after a 18-month break?

BHX-DOH. Check in was a simple affair, quick and painless although I don’t understand why they are still using the color coded hand luggage tags now they use the new Hamed airport. The tags were to guide you through the old airport so you had some idea where you were going.

Qr are using the number one lounge in BHX. This was my first time using this lounge having used the EK one (good) and the other used by skyteam (name escapes me) which is very basic. Number one is ok, if short on seating. There was a good buffet selection and a’lacarte menu however getting the attention of staff to place an order is not so easy. A well stocked manned bar is a good plus for those who take a preflight tipple, not me as I don’t usually drink before or on a flight.

Boarding. This was where it wasn’t so smooth. It was by no means a disaster just a bit messy. I arrived at the gate after boarding had started but something must have gone wrong as there was about 7 people in front of me in the fast track but it took 15 minutes to get them through, in the meantime the economy queue went to zero and the person manning it didn’t call premium passengers over, just walked away from the desk. Waiting to get on the jet bridge I could hear one of the ground staff berating another staff member for not enforcing the boarding procedure in turns and just letting any class and zone board all at once. It didn’t bother me but showed a little more training is needed on the ground staff at BHX.

On board. I don’t usually take any notice of what plane I am on at time of booking so it was pleasant surprise to see I was on the 787. I flew QR’s 787 about a week after it was launched on the LHR route and like others was impressed by some aspects, not with others, like the toilet door falling off midflight! The seat is QR’s latest business class configuration which debuted on the 787. Others including myself have reviewed it before so I won’t go into much detail except to say that it is still my favorite business class seat with a config of 1 2 1. Lots of storage, a huge tray table that is nice and sturdy so excellent for working with the Wifi available. Probably the widest seat in this class I have found and super comfortable. Unfortunately, the IFE on my seat broke before takeoff, luckily there was another spare seat so it was no problem. I ordered my main meal of Mezze to start and fish corse after but opted to eat later and take a nap. Here is where I see a change. Whilst the dining experience its self is still very good other aspects have reduced. Despite ordering there was no mezze when it came to service, sold out. This was surprising as QR always used to carry enough so everyone could have what they wanted. Staff were very apologetic and kept trying to convince me to have the soup or salad which I declined opting to go straight into the fish. That was a major disappointment, whilst well presented it was one of the worst pieces of fish I have had on a flight. Like chewing on a piece of old rubber with as much taste as plain white tofu. The staff were exemplary as they always are and seem more relaxed rather than too formal as they used to be. The IFE has been updated and I would not say for the better, they used to have hundreds of films so there was always something to watch but now I would say it’s down to under 100 with 50% being non English. Also for the first time ever I had to ask for assistance how to operate it as the menu system is so un initiative. I ended up sleeping for probably 70% of the flight.

787: much better feel than the early ones
    Seat: as good as before
    Crew: better than before
    IFE: gone backwards
    Food: taken a real step back and very disappointing.

Hamed airport. I only had about 90 minutes from landing to boarding for HKG. Landing at one of the far D gates it was about a 15-minute walk and clear security before hitting the lounge. Boarding was due to start at 02.25 but at 02.00 it was showing final call which resulted in a fast walk all the way back to E24 gate, getting there for 02.10 to find economy class were boarding, this was a bus affair which surprised me when Hamed at that time had so many empty gates. Here also it got a bit messy. I was hoping to grab a quick bite in the lounge but missed that due to early boarding. However, this was just for economy as business class did not start boarding the bus until 02.40 so I had 30 minutes sat at the gate. QR really should clarify on the lounge boards the correct boarding time in the lounge if they have a business class last boarding process.

DOH – HKG was taken on the A330-200. I have flown QRs A330’s many times so nothing to write home about here. Service was excellent, the main food was very good starting with the Salmon, proceeding to the Beef and finishing off with a cheese plate, breakfast consisted of an omelet for myself which I should have known better as no-one can serve a decent omelet up in the air, it was edible and saw me through until dinner later in the evening. On this aircraft QR are still using the older generation seat, by older I mean 2 generations past that I first started to see about 8 years ago. However, this was not an old bird the seat looked like new, had USB charging points and a large touch panel IFE. I am no fan of this seat despite it being angles lay flat. Its family narrow, and a little hard. The IFE controller is now touch screen, like a smartphone with a wire but does not lock out after use so and had the annoying habit of switching menus and fast forwarding or rewinding the film I was watching every time I moved in my seat because its holder is dead in line with your elbow. Also it was the new Oryx menu so getting back to where you were in a film is no mean task. It is easier to use the main screen touch, however unless you have arms like an orangutan you have to get out of your seat as the screen is so far away. Not sure why QR have laid the aircraft out this was as they could easily get another row in and still have a lot of legroom. My guess is that as its 2-2-2 window seat passengers can get to the isle easier although still stepping over. There is also no seat storage space except for a small rack under the screen and a shoe cubby hole. Pajamas are still given out as are Armani vanity kits however these have been trimmed down to some aftershave, aftershave balm, ear plugs and eye mask. Toothbrushes and razors are in the toilet.

Lasting thoughts. QR have dropped since I first started to travel with them, you can see some of the economizing going into place. I used to sing their praises and tell all and sundry you have to try the product and while it’s still ahead of the main EU legacy carriers I would not put it above EK anymore. At the same price I would do QR over EK for the OW points but if EK were 100 quid less to hell with the points.

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting Steve. Seems there are always some airlines on the rise and some on the fall.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

I don’t normally look around for deals but we’re going to a wedding in Sydney in November and the fares I was finding from EDI were more than we wanted to pay for C and we didn’t want to go in Y as we will only be away for a week.

I’ve booked QR from CPH-DOH-SYD for £1750 each. Connections in DOH are just on two hours each way so ideal. Positioning to CPH we have a direct service from EDI with easyJet and we booked ‘Club easyJet’ for a total of £180 return.

Now that seems like a great deal to me!

RonBrown
    Participant

Just done the 350 to Adelaide in QR business class and thought it excellent. It’s a lovely plane and the food and service both very good, Adelaide airport was a revelation, I was in a taxi within 10 minutes of landing, no luggage but it was a record for arriving in Australia for me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls