Retained status early

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Rhys
    Participant

Hi all, newbie here – please be gentle…

I work for a company that has an economy only travel policy (irrespective of distance) but normally upgrade myself to premium for the extra comfort but also so I maintain my BA gold status.
    I normally reach 1500 tier points in or around May when my membership year renews. This year I have already reached it in January but will have at least 3 more trips (LON – HKG) before the end of April.

What would you do in my position? Still use Oneworld and keep amassing tier points, stick in economy and save myself some cash or try to achieve status on another program?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Swissdiver
    Participant

It all depends on your travel pattern. A flight to HKG on a Flyingblue airline (AF & KL) from Europe with one stop in Premium Eco for the long haul leg would bring you 29 XPs one way (https://www.flyingblue.ch/en/programme/(popin:xp)). Three journeys would mean 174 XPs. Another 6 XPs and you’ll be Flying Blue Gold. Now you are the only one to know whether this would make sense for you…

1 user thanked author for this post.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

Rhys – well firstly I think you should leave the company! There are health issues, such as DVT, involved in frequent long-haul travel in economy. I actually wonder if anyone forced to fly economy long-haul on business and suffered DVT, has successfully been able to sue the organisation that asked them to travel?

Assuming you don’t intend to leave, I would:

A. Stick to One World where you have status and enjoy fast track security, lounge access, free seat selection, additional luggage allowance and bonus points.
    B. Ask another non-OW carrier to match your BA status and then meet their ‘challenge’ to retain that status.

But don’t fly with another alliance without status.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

“Don’t fly with another alliance without status.”: this makes sense, but when flying PE on AF, you enjoy fast tracks, including for security (“Sky Priority”), which limits massively the annoyances.

Senator
    Participant

How far off are you from BA Gold for Life? That is why I bother between 1,500 and 2,500 TPs.

Rhys
    Participant

Yes that was my thought. I am about 2/3rds of the way there so another 500 odd tier points wouldn’t hurt.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls