Retained BAEC Gold?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• Travellator
    Participant

Your Gold status lasts about a month after your tier points have been reset – go to your account online e.g mine says membership expires 8 feb 2012 card expires 31 mar 2012

Flagflier
    Participant

dailytraveller – 04/04/2011 20:50 GMT

“YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE
    CONTACT BAEC,CLAIM YOU WILL BUY THE TRAVEL NEEDED TO MAINTAIN YOUR STATUS BEFORE THE DEADLINE –
    BUT YOU WILL TRAVEL AT A LATER DATE
    U SHOULD ALSO CLAIM THAT ,THE REASON YOU COULD NOT TRAVEL WAS DUE TO THE STRIKES

THIS HAS WORKED WITH ME,ALMOST EVERY YEAR AND THEY ALLWAYS RENEWED MY SILVER CARD

NOW,I’M FINALLY GOLD,ALMOST PREMIER

HAD THEY NOT RENEWED,I’HAVE GONE TO OTHER AIRLINE!

-NORMALLY,THEY SHOULD ACCEPT IT AND RENEW
    PAY ATTENTION -IT MUST BE PAID RESERVATIONS”

Dear Dailytraveller
    Corrrect me if I’m wrong, and I’m sure someone will, I believe you can’t work your way up to Premier status with Tier points. You will only reach this status by invitation from BA.

Brooklyn
    Participant

Yes that’s correct.
    My card expires next month however it says my Gold membership year ends on the 8th April 2012.
    The tier point indicator has reset to 0 as has the 4 BA flight guide.

UKFly79
    Participant

Brooklyn it looks like you have retained your Gold Card, enjoy! It doesn’t surprise me BA renew/comp some members especially as one might imagine Gold Card holders have been in decline over the last couple of years. Silver comps are common enough so why not comp a previous loyal Gold.

Flagflier yes thats correct dailytraveller was way out thinking “almost Premier”, mainly as Premier is not a tier level within the executive club – it is in fact it’s very own club so to speak.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I can show you what happens on your account at renewal, so I can very clearly and definitively evidence what should happen if you have indeed retained Gold status.

If you go to:

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecproductrequest/execclub/_gf/en_gb

and sign in to you account you should be able to see what products you, or the Service Centre, have requested on your behalf.

If you have had you Gold Status comped you should see something like:

19 Apr 2010 Renewal Pack for Exec Gold Dispatched
    11 Apr 2010 Renewal Pack for Exec Gold Fulfilled
    10 Apr 2010 Renewal Pack for Exec Gold Pending

If it’s been comped, then there is something like “Ex Gratia” or “Comp” in the wording.

If it’s Silver, then I think it’s something like “Downgrade to Exec Silver”.

So there’s no need to be unsure about this, just check in the Manage My Account – Order Exec Club Items area for a definitive answer.

Remember your Gold card benefits last for another seven weeks after your account year end date, regardless of whether you have been downgraded or not.

FlewTooFew
    Participant

On a similar note – any chance a letter to the nice people at BAEC would retain silver?

I’ve just missed out on retaining silver membership – I was comfortably over the 600 tier point threshold but actually only flew 1 BA rtn, so needed another to qualify (we have a centralised flight booking section which makes it difficult to demand BA although I think all or most of my flights were BA code shares).

A visit to South America (BA/Iberia as standard) has been delayed so many times I’m sceptical it will happen in the 6/7 weeks I might have to make a reasonable arguement for retaining silver.

Thanks

Tristar1979
    Participant

FlewTooFew, Surly you should just have taken a cheap domestic return to Scotland for a weekend break, thus gaining the number of required sectors needed to retain Silver status, and all for relatively little expense.

That’s what I would have done.

Thanks!

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Re Gold baggage tags. Principal benefit in my view is that they indubitably aid in identification of your bag if necessary. Main effects, nevertheless, seem to be: (a) the gold tag is a signal to handlers to ensure your bag comes off last; and (b) the gold tag snaps off, leaving you with neither tag nor my alleged benefit. Great result BA! BMI’s tag seems to be much better … in terms of durability.

FlewTooFew
    Participant

Tristar – yes you’re absolutely right. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing, like I say travel to South America was in the diary so why would I need to worry about losing my status…! I think it’s been rescheduled 5 times now!

FlightDoctor
    Participant

Brooklyn. Interesting it seems you have been able to retain your Gold status. I am in a similar situation – a change of job has meant a new travel policy and I expect to hit no more than 700 TPs when I’m up for renewal.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my 6 years at Gold may count for something…….

Brooklyn
    Participant

All still showing as Gold but nothing as yet showing in the “order items” page.
    I shall post as soon as it’s confirmed either way.

batraveller2
    Participant

Personally, I do not think BA should be maintaining status of people who have not met the tier points. I always ensure I maintain sufficient points and I hope BA does not give away things for free otherwise it becomes meaningless. Everyone knows the criteria (600 / 1500 TP) and so it is no excuse.

Henryp1
    Participant

I have to agree with batraveller2.

While some travellers may just miss their threshold due to whatever reason or excuse. There are those who dont miss and maintain status according to the actual miles flown at that time, historic journeys seem meaningless as the benefits were obtained and ‘enjoyed’ at that time.

I dont believe that this is mean but just the T&Cs of any programme, which we all sign up for. And yes I have maintained my Gold status as despite the ash cloud, strike and whatever, my travel has been sufficient to do so.

continentalclub
    Participant

Airline status is a reward for patronage, faith and loyalty. Absolute point and mileage thresholds are set, to a certain extent, on an arbitrary basis, usually as the result of calculations which define the levels at which set percentages of the membership roll will fall into each status category.

If the actual percentages of passengers qualifying for these categories fall, then it seems likely that any airline (or hotelier etc) will dynamically-manage the situation and discreetly reward the pre-agreed percentage of passengers, but without individual passengers needing to hit the published points thresholds.

Furthermore, the absolute points thresholds are something of a blunt instrument in rewarding the most valuable passengers; thus in the BA case, and to speculate only, it would seem logical that a passenger who has earned 1400 tier points in the memmbership year from flying full-flexible First Class, might find themselves quietly recognised ahead of another who has earned a similar or slightly higher number from travel on deeply-discounted alliance partner tickets.

As a BA Silver cardholder, I see no problem whatsoever with a high-revenue passenger who has earned slightly less than 600TPs being re-welcomed to Silver; indeed this strikes me as commercially highly-sensible and the opposite of the computer-says-no attitude which is so often encountered.

And, if it happened to me, I think that I would just be quietly grateful!

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

batraveller2

I do in general agree with you. But what makes us all human not computers is the ability to bend the rules ocasionally, to the benefit of all.

Many years ago I was one flight short of retaining gold on BMI. Flight was booked, all set – then I got ill and did not fly. As it was right at the end of the year that was that, no chance to squeak over the line later.

I asked BMI to recognise that anyone can be ill. No joy. I observed my 5+ years of gold membership (often with hundreds of points to spare). No joy. I threatened to leave. No joy. I left and started to use BA/OneWorld not Star Alliance wherever i could – and yes one might almost say it was in pique.

I have not flown BMI since and for over 10 years have very very rarely flown Star Alliance. I do however have gold on BA, SkyTeam and (about every 3rd year) Virgin.

So was BMI right to play by the rules or stupidly inflexible? I put their lost revenue since their petty decision at several hundred thousand pounds.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls