Retained BAEC Gold?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

• Anonymous

Brooklyn
    Participant

No excuses I have failed to obtain the required amount of tier points to retain my British Airways Gold card this year. My membership year ends on April 8th and my card at the end of May.

When I went into the ordering membership items where it previously stated I had reached my limit I was able to order a Gold bag tag which I thought was strange.

Any hope that this might be a sign that I won’t be demoted after all?

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

i suspect you just got the new tags in early. it is the card that counts anyway not the tags as the card has the expirey date.

I too risk loosing gold renewal. I had to canx my up coming flights which would have securred my status due to the risk of a strike. (Recent Union results)

I am sure BA would have had canx policies if they did end up striking or would have had a good long haul schedule in place, but the inconvenience and costs if you have to change carrier last minute are too much to bare.

Makes this a full time job managing ones elite cards!!!!

NTarrant
    Participant

You can only get one lot of tags in a year. My year is the same as yours Brooklyn, but having been sent tags in May last year, I tried to get a couple more in November but was told I already had ordered these items.

I have managed to do enough this year to keep Gold for another year so will try for more tags later.

Brooklyn
    Participant

Thanks guys for your replies.

I should have said it also allows me the option of ordering a new Gold card. Which is even more odd. I hope it’s a good sign although I guess I will know soon enough.

dailytraveller
    Participant

YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE
    CONTACT BAEC,CLAIM YOU WILL BUY THE TRAVEL NEEDED TO MAINTAIN YOUR STATUS BEFORE THE DEADLINE –
    BUT YOU WILL TRAVEL AT A LATER DATE
    U SHOULD ALSO CLAIM THAT ,THE REASON YOU COULD NOT TRAVEL WAS DUE TO THE STRIKES

THIS HAS WORKED WITH ME,ALMOST EVERY YEAR AND THEY ALLWAYS RENEWED MY SILVER CARD

NOW,I’M FINALLY GOLD,ALMOST PREMIER

HAD THEY NOT RENEWED,I’HAVE GONE TO OTHER AIRLINE!

-NORMALLY,THEY SHOULD ACCEPT IT AND RENEW
    PAY ATTENTION -IT MUST BE PAID RESERVATIONS

VintageKrug
    Participant

How many BAEC Tier Points have you earned this membership year?

Brooklyn
    Participant

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve earned nearer 0 than 1500. Have only flown on two BA flights so have not even qualified for that.
    Being able to order a Gold card so close to my year end date where before I had reached my limit is what is giving me hope but it could just be a glitch.
    Time will tell, It’s the waiting that’s getting to me. A bit like being a kid again waiting for Christmas day.

VintageKrug
    Participant

OK, well I’m sorry to say that being able to order tags etc. is not connected with retention of your Gold card.

Within a few days after 8 April you will see either “Renewal Pending” or “Downgrade Pending” in the place you order your bagtags; it’s the earliest evidence you’ll see of what will happen to your tier level.

Some people have been renewed recently at 0 TPs, especially of you have a few years of Gold under your belt, but best to look forward to a soft landing to Silver which isn’t all that bad!

Travellator
    Participant

In these recessionary times it has become much harder for loyal BA customers to retain their status especially those UK based exec members.

Perhaps a temporary lowering of the thresholds down to European levels would be a benefit and ‘ persuade ‘ members to stick with BA.

I am a marginal but if I lost my Silver status I would certainly use other airlines on the routes I use frequently, not as a disloyal BA customer but just to sample what other airlines have to offer e.g. Virgin Upper class to HKG instead of Club World.

Brooklyn
    Participant

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. It’s very much appreciated.

I can’t really expect to keep it and as you say Silver is not much of a drop. As a matter of fact compared to other FFP’s the benefits of having Silver are still very good indeed.
    I shall let you know what happens.

Daytripper
    Participant

Some of the perks of Gold membership are unquestionably wonderful.

However, personally I find it rather naff and a bit anal to proudly display gold tags on your bag… notwithstanding the fact that they’re flimsy and snap very easily.

Can someone please explain to me the point of using them?

PatJordan
    Participant

Daytripper, I would imagine that the main reason for putting Gold tags on your bag is that they are recognised as priority by baggage handlers. Plus it is a form of identification, even for hand baggage.

Pat

Daytripper
    Participant

Priority baggage handling with BA (even where they attempt to offer it) famously doesn’t work, and your gold tag would come through broken after one or two flights…

Brooklyn
    Participant

I’m still hopeful.

Tier Points have been reset and it still shows me as being Gold. It states I need 1500 points to retain Gold.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls