Restaurant "Rote Bar" at the Hotel Sacher, Vienna, Austria

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• uggboylovestravel
    Participant

July 2016, our lunch experiences

Even so my fiancé and I had decided not to stay at the Hotel Sacher Vienna during my milestone birthday in July 2016, we still wanted to gain some insights and check out if we would like the hotel, so we booked a table for two at the Restaurant Rote Bar for our lunch and hopefully get to stay at this landmark hotel in our future too.

E-mail contact with the reservation team was quick and warm.

Years back when we were the first time in Vienna it was a very formal city and the Hotel Sacher didn’t allow people into reception, if they didn’t have a reservation at one of the restaurants or bars or stayed there.

In July 2016 it was a totally different environment.

The lobby was now accessible to all and the public spaces could be explored up to the Blaue Bar.

The entrance to the Restaurant Rote Bar was in the lobby and the space is relatively small. It didn’t look like an official entrance. I was sure this was where we had to go in. My better half thought otherwise, so we checked with the bell captain, who confirmed it was the entrance.

As the name implies the Restaurant Rote Bar was furnished in red damask with classic paintings and chandeliers. The restaurant was cosy and felt special.

The maître d’ brought us to our table in the conservatory, which was also part of the Restaurant Rote Bar. We had nice views over the Vienna Opera House and passers-by, who could look in too, but this didn’t hinder us to enjoy ourselves here at this landmark address.

The cuisine was traditional Viennese and was beautifully presented.

Two waiters took care of us. One was a young lady with a similar haircut as mine, the other an older gentleman. Both were charming, efficient and service oriented.

Most fellow diners were older than us – I guess from sixty onwards. One other party also celebrated a special occasion.

There were couples and a few small groups.

We ordered a bottle of still Voeslauer water, two orange juice and one hot chocolate with “Schlag” (cream).

A bread selection was brought to our table. It was delicious.

Our starters were the original Sacher goose liver tart and the watercress and pea soup. Both were very good and the goose liver tart was smooth. Equally, I liked the different textures and being able to taste the ingredients of the well balanced soup.

Our main courses were generous portions of Wiener Schnitzel with parsley potatoes and mixed salad and braised beef roulades with vegetables, mashed potatoes, pickled cucumber and mustard.

There were extra helpings of the potatoes and the escalopes, which my fiancé enjoyed.

The roulades and the Schnitzel were melt in the mouth and both come highly recommended as mains.

The combination of velvety mashed potatoes, gravy and the tanginess of the mustard were heavenly.

I hadn’t had roulades since my childhood and this were the best so far.

We still had room to share a dessert, which was Valrhona chocolate and cherries. At first we thought the cherries were harmless, but they had been dunked in kirsch schnapps and the flavor of the alcohol built slowly up until it burst into full flavor and was long lasting. A beautiful and indeed memorable dessert.

Before settling our bill we also received a two-tiered stand with a selection of complimentary pralines/chocolates which was a wonderful and tasty touch to remember.

Please see/view our uploads on Flickr:
    || RESTAURANT “ROTE BAR” AT THE HOTEL SACHER VIENNA || AUSTRIA || FALSTAFF GUIDE 91/100 POINTS || OUR LUNCH || AS PART OF OUR TOUR OF AUSTRIA IN JULY 2016 ||

We enjoyed our lunch tremendously. The quality was high, service excellent and the surroundings sumptuous. We would return for more when visiting Vienna again in our future.

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES!
    Would we want to enjoy lunch/dinner at this restaurant in our future? YES!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Sounds absolutely delicious and reading this as 5.15pm (UK) time, I am now hungry!

You usually mention the price… was the cost so high, you preferred not to disclose…. 🙂 ??

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

@Martyn Sinclair

Thanks for your compliments, our lunch was indeed very memorable, tasty and of high quality in terms of food/presentation and service. We would highly recommend the Restaurant “Rote Bar” at the Hotel Sacher, Vienna, Austria. Equal thanks for the reminder about the cost of our lunch for two, I had a quick look and it was around 150 Euros which we found good value considering the setting and reason for our visit and yes, we would want to eat there again in our future.

Cheers and Safe Travels.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls