Request for updated opinions on Norwegian

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I would welcome views on flying Norwegian. I am travelling to Bergen (from London) and they are the only carrier offering direct flights. I have flown on them once, but quite a time ago (I thought it then somewhere between EasyJet and Ryanair), and I would appreciate views on their recent reliability and service. I will be taking both cabin and hold luggage.

Thank you

capetonianm
    Participant

I have only flown with them twice, both short haul. The comfort and service on board were good. The ground handling at Gatwick was appalling with one of the rudest and most obstructive checkin employees I’ve ever encountered. After that I would not fly with them again.

If you are going to buy a ticket on them I would suggest paying with a credit card so that you have protection in case they cease service which I think is likely within the foreseeable future.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Thank you – very helpful.

ghlotus
    Participant

In June I flew Norwegian Paris-Los Angeles-Paris. Their Business Class (or whatever they call it) was excellent value. Friendly Irish cabin staff. No flat bed, but the seat recline was comfortable enough. Poor food, so I recommend having a good meal at the airport before boarding. But considering the reasonable fare, I don’t think there is any better option for economical long-haul flying.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kaitai
    Participant

I have flown Norwegian short haul several times recently and a lot in past years, I have always found the experience a positive one, the crew seem genuinely happy to help, I always aim for an exit row seat, during boarding one crew member stands mid cabin protecting the over head bins above the two exit rows, this is a really nice touch considering you cant place any items under the seat in front when in these rows, so having space saved for you is great attention to detail.

Another positive is the seats, they are comfortable and very well designed with the magazine rack up high at head height, whilst leaving the option to store a water bottle etc in a small pouch at knee height.

Finally the Wifi, the basic and free wifi works well if you only need emails or whatsapp etc…and there is the option to upgrade for a nominal fee.
    i have experienced some flights where wifi does not work, so its not a given.

Hope that helps

AMcWhirter
    Participant

One concern is the volume of B787 Dreamliners (these operate the long-haul routes).

As we have reported these aircraft have suffered RR engine problems with several airlines worldwide.

In the case of Norwegian one one of its B787s suffered engine failure on take off from Rome a few weeks ago.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/departing-787-appears-to-shed-engine-parts-over-rome-460223/

It now means that, including the above B787, there are no fewer than nine B787s parked at Glasgow Prestwick awaiting repairs.

What this means is that Norwegegian is having to lease aircraft to carry out its long-haul schedule.

And yes that Hi-Fly A380 has been deploted Norwegian operating transatlantic services from mainland Europe.

It originally appeared at LGW last year.

Norwegian to charter Hi Fly’s A380 for Gatwick to New York

mkcol74
    Participant

@Cedric_Statherby Beware they only take card payment for any of their buy on board items. Not usually a problem & I actually wish other airlines (I’m looking at you easyJet) would do the same.

ghlotus
    Participant

I wonder if this could have something to do with Norwegian’s 787 problems:

ghlotus
    Participant

From New York Times:

ghlotus
    Participant

Sorry, this link does not seem to work. Try to google NEW YORK TIMES BOEING 787

mkcol74
    Participant

@ghlotus Which of the many links do you then want us to read, having Googled?

ghlotus
    Participant

HEADLINE:
    Claims of Shoddy Production Draw Scrutiny to a Second Boeing Jet

SUB-HEAD:
    Workers at a 787 Dreamliner plant in South Carolina have complained of defective manufacturing, debris left on planes and pressure to not report violations….

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=962384]If you are going to buy a ticket on them I would suggest paying with a credit card so that you have protection in case they cease service which I think is likely within the foreseeable future.[/quote]

Common-sense advice from capetonianm, however I would happily choose to fly with them again. I was very impressed last year and would definitely rate them above EasyJet and nearly on par with the best of the LCC’s …Jet2

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/video/low-cost-international-flights-doomed-152711453.html

An analysis of the future of low-cost long haul flights. It could have been condensed into a quarter of the time but it does make some valid points.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls