Reporting posts for 'inappropriate content'

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

It certainly wasn’t I who reported it, even though I am referenced!
    A bit of time travel perhaps?

I just noticed that FDOS’s post #871724 of 28 June 2018 @01:55 has been reported.

Montysaurus
    Participant

We’re all far too sensitive these days. We need to get hung up about important things, not trivia. Keep on posting everyone – I may not contribute much but I have followed this forum for years and thoroughly enjoy the banter.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=871758]I just noticed that FDOS’s post #871724 of 28 June 2018 @01:55 has been reported. I cannot see anything even remotely inappropriate in the post. I am certain if there is a quick poll on the matter, the overwhelming majority will agree with me.[/quote]

It was utterly predictable, unfortunately, as the OP said, some people just report threads because they disagree with the content. it is abuse of the reporting system and causes work for the BT editorial team, to view assess and act.

Anyway, I better things to do today, than worry about this, am about to drive to the Grand Canyon and have a look from the South Rim, something I haven’t found time to do previously, but have managed to work into this trip.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=871771]I recently asked for advice on Sierra Leone, I mostly got a Trump like response of don’t go, it’s a shit hole etc etc. However the tips I did get were worth it.[/quote]

It was certainly a s….ole when I was there as was Nigeria, but so what, I loved both countries despite the slow pace of communications and the constant need to pay baksheesh to smooth the way. Unless you’re being robbed (which I was – *twice!) the people are great and friendly and there’s good business to be done.

* Reminds me of the old story of the fellow enticed by a voluptuous woman to put his head in her cleavage for $10. He took up the offer but she had put some knockout powder there, and when he came round his wallet was missing. Off to the cops he goes to report it, and the weary desk sergeant says “but sir, this is the fifteenth time this has happened to you, haven’t you learnt your lesson yet?” 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just seen the “thanks button has been activated. Thanks Tom.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=871772]It certainly wasn’t I who reported it, even though I am referenced!

A bit of time travel perhaps?

I just noticed that FDOS’s post #871724 of 28 June 2018 @01:55 has been reported.

[/quote]

No time travel @capetonianm, just a typo. The date should read 26 June 2018. Unfortunately, one cannot edit posts anymore after a certain time period.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The time period is five minutes.

I can extend the time you get to edit it.

The reason we left it at that is because posters would insult one another, wait for the response with the person they were arguing with, then go back and remove their own insult so the other person looked to have been the one to inflame the discussion !

We make the world we live in…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=871887]The time period is five minutes.

The reason we left it at that is because posters would insult one another, wait for the response with the person they were arguing with, then go back and remove their own insult so the other person looked to have been the one to inflame the discussion !

We make the world we live in…[/quote]

OUCH! Didn’t realise it has become that bad. Looks like I had better wait until things change for the better before starting to post again. My complements to Tom and the rest of the team who continue to strive and keep this Forum alive. It is by far the best travel related forum on the net.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=871887]The time period is five minutes.

We make the world we live in…[/quote]

I wonder how our little friend VintageKrug is these days……

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=872014]

The time period is five minutes.

We make the world we live in…

OUCH! Didn’t realise it has become that bad. Looks like I had better wait until things change for the better before starting to post again. My complements to Tom and the rest of the team who continue to strive and keep this Forum alive. It is by far the best travel related forum on the net.[/quote]

It isn’t that bad, the time limit is historical, per SimonS1’s comments above. Thread bumping was another tactic of he who must not be mentioned.

Ahmad
    Participant

Folk of his ilk are long gone (unless they are using other handles and have slightly varied their style), yet things are quite bad …

capetonianm
    Participant

posters would insult one another, wait for the response with the person they were arguing with, then go back and remove their own insult so the other person looked to have been the one to inflame the discussion !

I find it hard to believe that adults can behave in such a childish way.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=872043]

posters would insult one another, wait for the response with the person they were arguing with, then go back and remove their own insult so the other person looked to have been the one to inflame the discussion !

I find it hard to believe that adults can behave in such a childish way.[/quote]

Oh I vaguely remember something on these lines. Because I am not that frequent a lurker, I used to miss the insult/diatribe and when reading the thread used to wonder what all the fuss was about. I also recall the odd occasion when threads were ‘cleansed’, either by the offender taking their words back by literally expunging the record or by admin deleting the offensive parts (sometimes even entire posts)! As I write about it even more is coming back to me now, but enough said. I reiterate, hats off to Tom and the rest of the team.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I have hesitated for some time before responding to this thread, but I think I have to.

First, for the avoidance of doubt, my name on this forum is essentially my own name, so I cannot be accused as being a snowflake hiding behind my anonymity. Also, it will not take you long on Google to find out what I do, so I emphasise that these are my own views and not those of the international organisation that I lead.

Second, I have never just reported a post for inappropriate comment. I have emailed Tom twice, once to say I thought things were getting out of hand and once to say that I was worried that a particular post was libellous and might be exposing BT to risk of being sued.

There is too much inappropriate comment. Phrases like “no wonder Europe is awash with the unwashed, but I suppose there are so many illegal invaders anyway that a few more won’t matter” at the start of this thread, or “another of the benefits of freedom of movement, the Schengen Agreement, and Frau Merkel’s madness” in another thread today are pure dog-whistling and not acceptable. Maybe many of us are concerned about the exact “version and formulation of European culture” but it could be expressed better.

At a milder level, I find the endless frog-bashing tedious: yes, there are too many employees of Air France (and indeed Lufthansa and other legacy airlines) who are not thinking about the long-term future of their airline, but they do not deserve the vilification they sometimes receive here.

Also, the “inappropriate content” is not just a matter of language. I do not want to post on a thread where I will just get into a tangle with Mr Allwaysknowsbest Musthavethelastword.

So I have largely given up. Like others, I have found this forum useful and it has given me excellent contacts and saved a great deal of money – but why should I, for example, bother to post about a current issue with obtaining visas for China that may be useful information for forum members; or write a note about a BA aircraft that was (in the splendid words of an FT writer) apparently so old that it should have a tail gunner?

So – not goodbye, but I am going to go quiet for a while.

6 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

but why should I, for example, bother to post about a current issue with obtaining visas for China that may be useful information for forum members; or write a note about a BA aircraft that was (in the splendid words of an FT writer) apparently so old that it should have a tail gunner?

Depends whether you wish to help others, I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls