Reporting posts for 'inappropriate content'

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=871681]I am sorry but I think you should be able to report a comment as inappropriate anonymously. Certain regular contributors on this forum do have a habit of saying potentially racist and anti-semitic comments on this forum, as well as believing only their opinion is right vs. all others (it’s why I don’t post here anymore) and therefore there is a very strong possibility for the opposite to occur and users instead facing bullying and open flaming for being identified for reporting something as being inappropriate. However, I do like the thank / like option as a counterbalance.[/quote]

I’m sorry you feel the atmosphere is like that, and unfortunately you’re not alone, I get emails about it and also people who approach me in person at our events.

Ai also agree people ought to be able to report posts such as the ones you refer to.

What posters get really annoyed about is when someone just reports every post of the other person they are arguing about.

I can ask them to stop doing that, and will do when it happens again.

7 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

potentially racist and anti-semitic comments

‘Potentially’. That covers just about anything, rather like saying that every male is a potential rapist because he has the necessary physical attributes to be one.

We go from there to a total suppression of freedom of speech. A friend of mine is ‘potentially’ racist because she doesn’t like Indian food.

Irons80
    Participant

Since you’re a often a poster who make comments which easily interpreted are racist and anti-semitic, along with general venomous (which you call forthright) opinions, your reply really doesn’t surprise. Perhaps if you could instead of being combative, be a little more kind, thoughtful and considerate in how you reply and what you write, this forum would have less of the problems Tom has identified above?

Oh, and I did report your comment above for inappropriate content – but that was because I meant to click reply and you cannot undo a report – it appears – once it’s made…

6 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

I must admit, I was a bit flabbergasted when one of my comments was reported.
    I certainly didn’t mean to cause offence yet I must have done
    I know my sense of humour can be a bit cutting, non PC at times, and even though I’ve passed my inclusivity training I still get grim looks from some of my more “precious” colleagues.

So for me Tom, I’d love to know what line I’ve crossed, when or if I do inadvertently stray into the murky world of upset, so I can apologise and learn from my indiscretions.

Having said that, I am scunnered by how many people revel in grabbing every opportunity to be offended by even the slightest “last century “ comments !!

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=871681] Certain regular contributors on this forum do have a habit of … believing only their opinion is right vs. all others (it’s why I don’t post here anymore).[/quote]

Partly, why I stopped posting here even though I continue to read the forum.

2 users thanked author for this post.

handbag
    Participant

How do you

“/ users thanked author for this post.”

Cant see how this is done.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=871696]How do you

Cant see how this is done.[/quote]

A grey line at the end of the post has thanks written at the end. I clicked on it and it worked !!

1 user thanked author for this post.

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=871697]

How do you

A grey line at the end of the post has thanks written at the end. I clicked on it and it worked !![/quote]
    I can see it now. Thank you. I have also clicked the thanks to see if it works. 🙂

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=871700]

How do you

A grey line at the end of the post has thanks written at the end. I clicked on it and it worked !!

I can see it now. Thank you. I have also clicked the thanks to see if it works. 🙂[/quote]

🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=871681]I am sorry but I think you should be able to report a comment as inappropriate anonymously. Certain regular contributors on this forum do have a habit of saying potentially racist and anti-semitic comments on this forum, as well as believing only their opinion is right vs. all others (it’s why I don’t post here anymore) and therefore there is a very strong possibility for the opposite to occur and users instead facing bullying and open flaming for being identified for reporting something as being inappropriate. However, I do like the thank / like option as a counterbalance.[/quote]

I am having some trouble understanding this post.

1 – This is an anonymous forum, the only user I know who uses their own name is ‘Tom Otley’ – I do know that quite a few people have ‘noms des plumes’ that sound real, but are not

2 – I was recently targeted for a series of strong personal attacks by a user who was clearly employing a second handle, a sort of ‘double secret’ anonymous for fans of Animal House – did I feel bullied? Of course not and under the current forum environment, was happy to report the posts to BT and let them decide how to respond (user banned)

Lots of people believe that their opinion is right, that’s life. I used to cross swords regularly with the much missed Mr Michael (RIP, my friend), always in a humorous and graceful way and whilst we never changed each other’s opinion, we had a lot of tongue in cheek fun, which is what it is all about.

Some of the vocal complainers are actually pretty swift to deploy the personal attack – I’m looking at you DavidArnold, in particular, but so what? It washes off like water from a duck’s back.

I don’t know capetonianm, but I am assuming he is a Saffir and having had the good fortune to be awarded some gigs in RSA in the past, am used to the direct style of communication that is often used there. As he kindly said about me, the other day, I enjoy his comments, even when I don’t agree with them and having spent sometime working with airline clients, he would be my ‘go to’ person on here for insights into airline back office processes and systems.

Finally, we all have the option to ignore threads and content we do not like; there is one such thread alive at the moment – I find it utterly boring, but others enjoy it and it is doing no harm to anyone and obviously brightening some people’s days.

Live and let live.

DavidArnold
    Participant

[quote quote=871724]

I am sorry but I think you should be able to report a comment as inappropriate anonymously. Certain regular contributors on this forum do have a habit of saying potentially racist and anti-semitic comments on this forum, as well as believing only their opinion is right vs. all others (it’s why I don’t post here anymore) and therefore there is a very strong possibility for the opposite to occur and users instead facing bullying and open flaming for being identified for reporting something as being inappropriate. However, I do like the thank / like option as a counterbalance.

I am having some trouble understanding this post.

1 – This is an anonymous forum, the only user I know who uses their own name is ‘Tom Otley’ – I do know that quite a few people have ‘noms des plumes’ that sound real, but are not

2 – I was recently targeted for a series of strong personal attacks by a user who was clearly employing a second handle, a sort of ‘double secret’ anonymous for fans of Animal House – did I feel bullied? Of course not and under the current forum environment, was happy to report the posts to BT and let them decide how to respond (user banned)

Lots of people believe that their opinion is right, that’s life. I used to cross swords regularly with the much missed Mr Michael (RIP, my friend), always in a humorous and graceful way and whilst we never changed each other’s opinion, we had a lot of tongue in cheek fun, which is what it is all about.

Some of the vocal complainers are actually pretty swift to deploy the personal attack – I’m looking at you DavidArnold, in particular, but so what? It washes off like water from a duck’s back.

I don’t know capetonianm, but I am assuming he is a Saffir and having had the good fortune to be awarded some gigs in RSA in the past, am used to the direct style of communication that is often used there. As he kindly said about me, the other day, I enjoy his comments, even when I don’t agree with them and having spent sometime working with airline clients, he would be my ‘go to’ person on here for insights into airline back office processes and systems.

Finally, we all have the option to ignore threads and content we do not like; there is one such thread alive at the moment – I find it utterly boring, but others enjoy it and it is doing no harm to anyone and obviously brightening some people’s days.

Live and let live.[/quote]

Firstly it is my real name and no falseness with me!

Secondly l write about my enjoyment of travelling regardless of airline but l definitely enjoy good value for money which is BA during their “World Sale” offers but if not l choose who l think provides what l am looking for at the budget l have set. I pay my own travel as it is my own company and when travelling l also look for great FFP and Hotel packages.

I have recently looked at various travellers in YouTube who offer great and sensible methods of travel utilising great savings and points accumulation with various companies.

I do not personally attack you FDOS but inform you that you and a few others have a definite objectionable form of reply to others which is offensive to someone and l feel you must be informed of that fact.

Crossing swords is good when humour is involved but your sense of humour is quite narrow in its comedy. As a Fawlty Towers and Python devotee l am typically English in my sense of humour but remember this great website is viewed and commented on by people who want to know about travel.

FDOS if l have offended you l apologise and l hope things change for the better.

Best wishes

Dave

5 users thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=871739] FDOS if l have offended you l apologise and l hope things change for the better.[/quote]

If things change for the better I am certain many lurkers will no longer desist from making useful contributions.

FDOS, it is not simply a matter of ignoring certain threads if one does not agree with or like their content. One of the main reasons why some contributors have said they will no longer post is the attitude shown by some of the more aggressive posters who may be well-intentioned but have a style of disagreement which dwells upon semantics and nitty gritty details. This usually ends up in unnecessary arguments, either going completely off topic or going round in circles making the debate boring. Many potentially useful contributions are not made simply because people do not want to, or may not have the time to, engage in such debate. The Forum losing out in the process.

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

….. you and a few others have a definite objectionable form of reply to others which is offensive to someone and l feel you must be informed of that fact.

That’s fair enough, but it’s a matter of context. If I were agreeing with you (DavidArnold) and disagreeing with another poster, you probably wouldn’t find the replies ‘objectionable’ even if they were forthright in style and content.

I used to work for a global and multicultural organisation. There were a lot of politics, not just the normal office politics, but cultural and ethnic ones too. In meetings in my department I would express myself clearly and forthrightly, but without attacking anyone directly, nor insulting their creed or ethnicity. I was pretty unpopular and I used to see people cringing when I was about to speak. Nevertheless, when I left, a number of people came to me and said : “At least with you we knew where we stood, you never said anything behind someone’s back that you wouldn’t say to their face.”

I suspect that is why I like the Dutch so much, for their forthright honest approach. One of my closest friends loathes the Dutch, for exactly the same reasons as I admire and like them, which proves that you will never please everybody.

In case anyone asks why I don’t use my real name here, it’s because doing so would potentially jeopardise relationships between and within some of the entities for whom I have worked/consulted in the past. If it weren’t for that, I would use my real name and hold myself fully accountable.

Ahmad
    Participant

I just noticed that FDOS’s post #871724 of 28 June 2018 @01:55 has been reported. I cannot see anything even remotely inappropriate in the post. I am certain if there is a quick poll on the matter, the overwhelming majority will agree with me.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Different people, different tastes, different understandings or misunderstandings, that’s life as we know it.

I look on every poster as a fount of knowledge that I can use or not.

I recently asked for advice on Sierra Leone, I mostly got a Trump like response of don’t go, it’s a shit hole etc etc. However the tips I did get were worth it. Was I annoyed or upset about the comments no, not worth it. I went, and enjoyed it, been back again since and am going again in October. Sometimes life experiences are worth their weight in gold.

Certain posters have greater knowledge than others, if I wanted advice on a delay or point I know for certain FSDOS would be there with the answer, (as a sarcastic northerner myself I am with him on certain comments) Charles-P might be in another financial league than me, (what am I on about might? IS dammit IS) but I don’t look on his comments as bragging or reading with envy, when I am scrambling for an economy flight to Freetown and Charles is in a Falcon, accept it, it’s just how life is.

I could quote other posters, who I enjoy reading, I might not accept their way of thinking or thoughts, I might even think in this pc world that a certain comment is near to the knuckle but I never think of reporting.

Too be honest I don’t think there is a specific way round this, accept, ignore and move on.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls