Reporting posts for 'inappropriate content'

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

This has become a bit absurd, with a couple of members seemingly reporting posts simply because they disagree with the content, or have a vendetta against the poster.

I have suggested before that there should be some accountability, and that when reporting a post, the reason for doing so and the poster’s username should be visible to all.

I suspect that this will reduce work for the forum administrators and lead to a more mature and responsible usage of the facility.

Swissdiver
    Participant

+1

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Certainly the Reporter should have to give a reason. Best is to simply Reply / Quote and be open.

I also saw the Reports and cannot understand the reasons

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

+1

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I can see who makes the report, but I don’t know if there’s a way of showing it on the forum.

I will ask the IT people.

Tom

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Also, if you’re going to say things like

“No wonder Europe is awash with the unwashed, but I suppose there are so many illegal invaders anyway that a few more won’t matter.”

People will report it. That’s life.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

In that case, Tom, I would post an announcement that anyone who reports another posting for ‘inappropriate content’ will have his/her name posted on the forum for doing so and will be asked for an explanation.

Yes, they may report comments like the one above (mine) but that doesn’t make it inappropriate, it just makes it unacceptable to some people, which is a very different thing.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Another +1 for Capetonianm

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=871599]Also, if you’re going to say things like

“No wonder Europe is awash with the unwashed, but I suppose there are so many illegal invaders anyway that a few more won’t matter.”

People will report it. That’s life.[/quote]

Be that as it may, Tom, I got reported for politely asking people to use the report button, rather than flaming people.

Surely reporting that is unjustifiable and ridiculous?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Agreed, but then I go and ‘Unreport” it.

As I say, I can ask the IT people if it’s possible to hack into the BBPress forum software plug-in so somehow the person who reports a comment is identified, but WordPress being what it is, there’s no certainty it’s possible, or that it’s financially feasible to do it.

I’ll let you know what I’m told (it’s not as though I can write the code!)

Swissdiver
    Participant

You can’t write the code, Tom? I am disappointed… 🙂

Another route would be to have the report visible only after say 3 reported… This would avoid personal vendetta while still helping the community with an efficient reporting procedure.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Another forum I occasionally post on is the EnglishForum.ch
    They have a way of either “thanking” or “groaning” at any post and you can see how many time a contributor has been thanked or groaned at.
    Didn’t there be a “like” button on this forum?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ve turned that on.

I haven’t found a ‘Groan’ button, but then if everyone starts hitting that instead of reporting one another, I’m not sure it will improve anyone’s mood!

5 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[quote quote=871590]Certainly the Reporter should have to give a reason. Best is to simply Reply / Quote and be open.

I also saw the Reports and cannot understand the reasons[/quote]

Correction. I had not seen all of the Reports as I only look at a few topics that I think might interest me. If I had seen the Report that Tom mentions I would not have made my comment above.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Irons80
    Participant

I am sorry but I think you should be able to report a comment as inappropriate anonymously. Certain regular contributors on this forum do have a habit of saying potentially racist and anti-semitic comments on this forum, as well as believing only their opinion is right vs. all others (it’s why I don’t post here anymore) and therefore there is a very strong possibility for the opposite to occur and users instead facing bullying and open flaming for being identified for reporting something as being inappropriate. However, I do like the thank / like option as a counterbalance.

8 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls