Relais & Chateaux ..

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

Visiting a Relais & Chateaux hotel, I was expecting a high standard.
    How wrong I was .. Hotel De La Plage, in Brittany just by a village called Sainte Anne la Palud.

Over priced, disappointing rooms, over rated restaurant & this hotel is no more than a 2 or 3 star at best.

Beware !

PeterCoultas
    Participant

My experience (late 70’s) very different – on a cycling holiday with a colleague in Alsace we had indulged in a Michelin starred meal in Colmar only to discover late at night that there were no rooms to be had due to a festival.

The park bench stressed my colleague so much that he insisted on ringing ahead to book a room – reserved only up to 5 pm. He pushed ahead of me to make the deadline & when I caught up was using his “Edward Heath” french, furiously demanding our room as they seem not to know about the booking.

We were given a room eventually and I was very surprised by its opulence, much better than our normal choices, later by an excellent meal even better than the previous evenings one and, in the morning by an astonishing breakfast for France with cold cuts and a bowl of wild strawberries included.

This was a Relais & Chateaux establishment but, on leaving it became clear that my colleague had demanded a room at the wrong hotel – the one that was booked was much less grand and only 500 metres further down the road !

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve rarely had a bad experience at a R&C hotel and on the odd occasion I have the hotel lost its coveted plaque shortly after. R&C explained to me that when a hotel loses its status, they will still appear in the directory until the new one comes out, and often these directories are kept and used by clients for several years.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls