Regional airports, so many choices…. But are there?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

HongKongLady
    Participant

I have in recent days been exploring or in fact troweling through regional airport sites and airlines to look at routes into Europe and have found them to be vastly diminished and exceedingly more expensive than when I last needed to avail myself of these on a regular basis.
    The route I need is the Midlands to Brussels, an easy enough quick inexpensive route one would think but apparently not I have been quoted as much as almost 600 ponds for economy !! Ummm no thank you BMI regional, I’ll pass

SimonS1
    Participant

Birmingham to Brussels with Brussels Airlines. Usually around £200 return.

canucklad
    Participant

HK lady….unfortunately

Brussels + Eurocrats + Expenses = Wonga Wonga

Does Ryanscare not fly to Charloi?

HongKongLady
    Participant

Simons1 yes SN would be an option unfortunately the flight was high 300s and operated with flyBe on the way back.
    Canucklad I think you may be right 🙂
    BA did fly from Birmingham many moons ago ahhhh the good old days, although BMI s service from East Midlands was good before they started playing around with it.

canucklad – I think Ryanair flies from Manchester to Charleroi.

HongKongLady, if possible, I would consider travelling down to London and flying from there. Those BMI Regional routes are notoriously expensive.

canucklad
    Participant

another option, might be flying into Schipol and jumping on the fast train…

Good thinking Batman..

Another option is the Eurostar?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

You do not say whereabouts in the Midlands you are located …

But if within easy reach of East Midlands Trains it will be worth considering taking the train to St Pancras and crossing the platform for Eurostar.

I you can buy a through ticket which will help in case of travel delays, missed connections etc.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

If on the Midlane Mainline (MML) definitely consider Train to Brussels and connecting with the Eurostar.

christopheL
    Participant

UK People who want to travel abroad need to live in the London area. That’s it
    A least, when travelling out from London, you get the world’s largest choice of airlines and destinations.
    So far so good

norbert2008
    Participant

I agree, now in Norfolk for the season and why oh why no flights to Paris just amsterdam and for £200, even one flight a day to LCY would open up a gamit of flights workdwide.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I have chosen to fly from Manchester via good old T5 to Brussels, seems a long winded way to do it but it was by far the cheapest option and at least I know what I am getting and can use the lounges.
    Ahh Ryan air I have never flown with them so I have no idea if they are as odious as they are made out to be. However I do not like the attitude of Mr ? Um what’s his name or at least what the press report him saying !
    I am on the midland mainline route well when I get to the closest station I am and it is an excellent service most of the time and does often have some reasonable fares and my preference is to fly. I have used Eurostar once when my children were small and it was the day trip from hell, nothing to do with the train, but it will forever that way in my thoughts 🙂
    We do seem to have so many airport dotted around, I wonder who uses them ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls