Recommended budget hotel chains

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• lee_lee
    Participant

I hope to travel periodically next year for work (within the US), where I will be traveling solo and typically will need only to spend one or two nights.

I am on a tight budget and would prefer to keep the cost per night under $80 (I just need a reasonably safe and sanitary place to sleep and get ready for my day. No bells and whistles.)

In your experience, what hotel chains would you recommend? (When I google I can find several chains all in my price range. Just wanted to hear some thoughts/opinions on your personal preferences and why.)

Also a bonus would be chains who offer points/credits for staying with them (that can eventually add up to a free night).

I am new to travelling, so any specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

Hampton by Hilton are an excellent 3 star product with super beds, great shower and always complimentary Breakfast and WiFi. If you can book early enough you can score some great prices and of course earn points in their Hilton Honors program. Hilton also has a new brand, ranked slightly lower/cheaper than Hampton, being Tru by Hilton. I have not been to one yet, but they look fine, and again, same benefits of a Hampton.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

I agree with the recommendation. Hampton By Hilton would be my chain of choice on a tight budget.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Hampton is a very good suggestion, however it may not available within the budget indicated in many cities in USA. Next best will be the Holiday Inn Express that will be well within budget. Only problem is quite a lot of these do not have even any breakfast option but there will normally be a fast food joint nearby.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1005802]I am on a tight budget and would prefer to keep the cost per night under $80[/quote]

The best advice I can give…..

Always always always, (especially in USA) when you ask for a room rate, ask for GROSS PRICE to include all taxes, service charges, parking charges etc etc. The difference between Gross and Net prices for rooms can vary by up to 30% in the USA.

2 users thanked author for this post.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Marriott Courtyards are ubiquitous and reliable.

Currently their slightly more expensive Renaissance hotels are offering some very good deals too.

Wyndham’s La Quinta chain is another option.

Last resort, if nothing else available, a Motel 6 – but they cater more to the kids, bluejeans and baseball cap crowd.

toonfan62
    Participant

A lot will depend upon location but 80 bucks a night is a pretty tight ask for say a HI Express, Hyatt Place (pretty consistent and decent) or Hilton Garden Inn (my fave) – I’d say even a tight limit for a Hampton.

Most chains have a wide range of property ages and construction quality to the extent that I have absolutely zero loyalty to a hotel chain and choose hotels close walking distance to a place to eat and have a beer. It is extremely location dependent

Cwyfan
    Participant

Has to be Hampton.

Remember Hilton honors loyalty scheme is the best for free upgrades and nights too.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

$80 a night is very tight. I suspect it depends on where you are visiting in the US.

For example you’ll likely never find somewhere in Manhattan at this price range, even in the dead of winter.

Further, I don’t think you’ll find many places at $80 gross, per Martyn’s comment above.

It could also depend on seasonality.
    NY and FL are my most frequent destinations. One is more inexpensive in the winter, the other more expensive. The trend reverses itself in the summer.

I’d suggest going with the brand that best suits the locations you are travelling to.

IMHO, there is little difference between the budget offerings of all the major chains, be it Hyatt (my preferred chain though has less coverage), Marriott (most coverage since it merged with SPG), Hilton and IHG. Most offer a standard free breakfast, but not all (Courtyard).

Welshman
    Participant

I was on a trip across USA a few years ago and used ABVI (Americas Best Value Inns) and found them all clean with decent bathrooms – some offered very basic breakfast but that is one thing you can find anywhere in USA much better than hotels. I applied up front before trip for their discount VIP card which gave additional rate discounts and are much cheaper than Hilton/Hampton chains

jsn55
    Participant

The recommendations above probably aren’t valid for an $80/nite hotel. Hampton and Holiday Inn Express are both “expensive” due to the microwave and refrigerator, plus breakfasts and social hours. Very popular with families who put four people in a room with two queen beds. Often they are more costly than the full-service hotels. America’s Best Value are good, as are Extended Stay and Day’s Inn … just be careful of the neighborhoods. I do a lot of work at horse shows, so often end up in the boonies with few choices. I’m a serious Hilton Honors person, so can book almost anything anytime using points and cash; same with InterContinental … but I’ve stayed at the ABV,ES and DI in several locations. There are occasional Best Western hotels that are decent and affordable, but the quality varies widely. I’d chose Hilton, get their credit card and rack up some points as you go. I have always had great luck at airport hotels like the Hilton @EWR or SFO around $100 … you can take the train into the city. When you’re making your plans, pull up a few hotels that fit your budget and check reviews carefully before you book. I never book a hotel without reading at least 25 reviews on TripAdvisor.

jsn55
    Participant

The “blue jeans and baseball cap crowd” is a very charitable description of the kind of people who use a motel with a number in its name. I don’t go near any of them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls