reCaptcha on Forum

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)

• Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Yes.. * PLEASE * get rid of this soonest. Working for a Chinese company means everything Google related is banned. Including re capture. It’s infuriating beyond belief.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Morning Tom, it’s getting quite ridiculous.
    Street signs x 5 screens and each needing about 12 clicks
    Crosswalks x 3 and ditto
    Cars x 2

It’s putting me off posting it’s so time consuming. There was a period when it kind of recognised me, but not anymore?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m sorry.

I’ve raised it with the IT people.

We are getting a lot of traffic to the website. The comments on the bottom of the pieces don’t have CAPTCHA and we receive over 50 spam comments a day.

We currently get only a couple on the forum

So the CAPTCHA is working.

Obviously if it’s discouraging people from posting, then we will look at it, but we also have to try and make it secure from spam attacks, whcih even with this software still happen.

I’ll see what they come up with.

Tom

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

What annoys me is that it is inconsistent, and often specially on the phone, the images are hard to see.

Sometimes I post from a known IP and it does the whole Captcha thing, other times I post from somewhere I’ve never been before – now for example, I’m in a cafe in Bergen – and it doesn’t do the Captcha. Let’s see.

It’s taken me through about 12 screens of Captcha.

stevescoots
    Participant

Why is it that when i am in the UK i never have the picture box, just the tick, but when travelling sometimes i get the box, sometimes just the tick

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Unfortunately as we’ve seen over the past few days, if anything we need to put more security in place to prevent the forum from being over run with Spam.

capetonianm
    Participant

The spam is coming in from new posters. To me this implies a weakness in the registration process, which needs to more robust. I don’t know how it currently works, but there must be a way of doing some check. I realise that banning ranges of IP addresses by country won’t work as some of us travel to those countries.

A question for IT experts?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

They are on it – the last time we had this we had to ban the whole of Korea !

(and I’m not saying it was originating from there, but it was certainly being routed from IP addresses from there).

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We’ve added a plug in that means first time users can’t have their first post published and it is moderated first by us. It will be frustrating for newbies, but won’t affect anyone else, I hope.

SimonS1
    Participant

And why is my post “awaiting moderation”.

Jeez this place is going backwards fast.

SimonS1
    Participant

While at it would it be possible to remove the blue ‘privacy settings’ banner that sits permanently at the bottom of the screen? Really grating on the eye.

capetonianm
    Participant

Good. I am sick of seeing adverts for fake passports, fake tits, fake money, etc.
    Thank you.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=888266]And why is my post “awaiting moderation”.

Jeez this place is going backwards fast.[/quote]

I’ll look into why.

BUT – it stopped several spam posters last night, which meant it stopped potentially dozens of spam postings. And if there’s spam all over the forum, then you can’t post anything.

I don’t know what you mean by the place going backwards. It’s going forwards. We are spending a lot of money on improving the forum, and it’s working – not just in this, but in lots of ways you don’t see. And traffic and users are returning. You don’t have to say thank you, but complaining that while we fine tune the new plug in one of your posts was caught in moderation for a few hours isn’t, well, a moderate response, is it?

As for the Blue thing – yes, it’s dog ugly and too big, as I’ve pointed out to the people who put it there. We need a version of it, but I’m hoping they can make it less obtrusive.

Kick the cat in the morning. Not us.

6 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Jeez this place is going backwards fast.

That’s a bit ungracious, to say the least, Simon.

SimonS1
    Participant

Sorry Tom, however I think this is now the 3rd iteration since the original forum which seemed to function well. Now we have recaptcha, blocked posts, cluttered layout, the blue thing and so on.

Surely you would be interested in driving traffic into the website? I don’t know who your designers are but seriously why don’t you just use one of the tried and tested forum softwares like phpBB or Proboards?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘reCaptcha on Forum’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls