Reasons for duty free

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

Rarely buy any drink as like others have said no real major savings. I did purchase some excellent Cuban cigars recently in Tel Aviv that were probably 30% cheaper than here in Belgium.

Bought my wife a new phone in Dubai and saved about $200 compared to Europe.

Chiantikid
    Participant

There are still bargains to be had in certain places but it really depends on what you want. Cigs are still ridiculously cheap in the Middle East for example. Best bargain of all time though was back in the late 80’s. Lanson selling for less than £3/bottle in Dubai. A no brainer IMO!

jsn55
    Participant

I love to buy Piper champagne at a discount, otherwise the places leave me cold. But then I’m not exactly their target customer … I never buy anything “designer”, I already know what makeup and perfume I like … have all the jewelry I need. Seems to me it’s an entertainment vehicle for people while they await their flights.

Charles-P
    Participant

As you might imagine there’s been a lot of research done on the why of spending in airports.

Regular business travelers are a waste of time as far as airports are concerned we often spend nothing and even when we do spend we avoid the high profit items like food, perfume and drink. Seems we favour magazines and newspapers but not much else.

The ‘occasional’ business traveler (less that five flights a year) is a moderate spender who is likely to buy high end alcohol and gift items with a spend that averages around $40.

The holiday traveler is another matter with an average spend of close to $130 per person much of it on high profit goods.

DerekVH
    Participant

Interesting Charles – if they know this then why do they insist on herding us past all their shops to get ot the lounge!!

Charles-P
    Participant

Well if we never pass a shop we certainly will not spend and if we do pass one there’s always a chance.

The ‘World Duty Free’ group has in the past suggested a series of high end mini shops within lounges selling items that in their words will “apply to the discerning business traveler” which I understand to be marketing BS for overpriced rubbish.

stevescoots
    Participant

@ Charles-P “marketing BS for overpriced rubbish.”

+20!

EternalExpat
    Participant

Whether it’s worth it depends on where you live, to state the obvious. In Singapore, a 0.7 litre bottle of Smirnoff Red Label sells at around 55 SGD or roughly £27 in the local shops. When you arrive at Changi, after you have passed through immigration you can buy a one-litre bottle for 16 SGD (£8). This works out at a saving of about 80 per cent or £30 and gives you the convenience of picking up a bargain at your destination.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls