Reasonable Fares to China in Mid August

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Brilliant.

Thanks, Bucksnet.

Cheers, Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for your help with this.

In the end, part of the team is joining me on a very reasonable Business Class flight (GBP 1700) ex-BHX, and the other part is going on KLM/AF ex-LHR via CDG, booked through the KLM website for just over GBP 800.00.

The availability was, for reasons noted above by several of you, very tight indeed.

What I also don’t understand (and going marginally off thread) is why SWISS’ website shows flexible Economy at almost the same as First!! Way more expensive than Business (e.g. 2.2k one-way in Flexible Economy and 806 for the same flight in semi-flexible Business).

It is not just on the Chinese routes and at this time of year. A Flexible Economy ticket on SWISS almost always costs a hell of a lot more than Business. No comprendo.

Thanks again for your help, folks.

Simon

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I may have an answer Simon. There are several large companies in Switzerland (and probably elsewhere) that prohibit their staff from flying C. Consequently they need to book a fully flexible Y fare and that is more than discounted C. Even though Business is cheaper, their travel system simply does not allow them to book anything other than Y.

It is ridiculous and a friend if mine who works for Alsthom and who travels regularly to China and S. Africa tells me he and his fellow engineers are up in arms over it but there’s nothing they can do.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi LP,

Thanks. That would make sense (although the policy itself is clearly ludicrous!). It may also explain why LX’s Business Class fares are such good value, especially as they offer a fair bit of flexibility and even cancellation for a modest fee of GBP each way.

Cheers, Simon

craigwatson
    Participant

most airlines do this (although maybe not to the degree that Y is more expensive than F), hold some full fare Y seats back to sell for the last minute corporate. Just had a quick look at BA and they have a full Y fare that is £1100 more than discounted I class on a return to PEK.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls