Ras Al Khaimah Advice

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Don’t worry about the short connection at ZRH DutchYankee, 40 mins is more than enough. If you’re arriving from a Schengen country had for the E gates, emigration, short train ride and you’re there. There’s also duty free available as well.

If coming from non Schengen and stay in transit you head straight to E from D I think. I’ve not done it myself but seen the signs. In either case it’ll take you 10 – 15 minutes tops.

Have a great trip.

alainboy56
    Participant

A NO-BRAINER – Use Qatar Airways via DOH and fly directly into RAK (RKT)

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi LP, travelling this coming Sunday, and just did another trip via ZRH (although short haul connecting to short haul) and I think you are right, I will be fine. ZRH is just such a pleasure to transit through, everything works, and the epitome of efficiency and manners! Love it

alainboy56, I looked into QR but their flight to RAK leaves at around 22 hours which would require me to overnight in Doha, so not really advantageous for me this time, but appreciate your advice.

ClubWorld64K
    Participant

I bought an investment property in RAK last year, Al Hamra Village to precise, this is where the Hilton and WA is and on the Dubai side of RAK so can be reached within an hour if the traffic is okay! I’ve always flown into DXB as QR only started flying there towards the end of last year, I’ve used hotel organised transfers and the journey is quite pleasant once you get out into the desert.

RAK and Al Hamra Village can only be classed as sleepy compared to Dubai which is actually quite nice, there’s a small Mall and quite a good golf course!

The WA is really good, it’s an amazing property, I’m led to believe it was designed and built to be a palace for the Sheikh but he changed his mind! It’s the only place I stay when visiting and it’s everything you’d expect from a WA!

Enjoy your trip!

SimonS1
    Participant

Very pleasant place for a break. Been there several times.

Little known fact – the Ruler of RAK was the longest serving monarch in the world having been ruler for 62 years when he passed away.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Just back from my trip, and it was fantastic. RAK is much quieter than Dubai, and feels more authentic. I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria there which is simply stunning. It’s next to the Al Hamra Golf Course, and rises from the desert in a new area being developed. The hotel is what a Waldorf should be. Excellent restaurants, one being the Lexington Grill and my favourite, the Japanese Umi I think it was called. Simply wonderful. As for the trip, as LP so rightly advised, it was an absolute breeze. From the time my regional flight into Zurich arrived to the time I was in my seat on the flight to DXB, it took all of 27 minutes!!! I could not believe how absolutely efficient and quick the connection was, and I am already a big fan of Zurich. The flights on LX were excellent, and completely full. With two A380’s a day from Emirates on the route a s well, I was surprised how full the LX flight was, but I guess, like me, there are plenty of passengers put off by the glitz and glam of EK and prefer the more subtle, elegant quality of Swiss. On the return I decided to have a shower in the new lounges in terminal E before making my way back to A gates for my connections. The new Swiss Lounges are excellent, and having the outside terrace is a great way to wake up with some Swiss Air (the pun is absolutely intended). A really enjoyable trip, and thanks to everyone for their advice. I would highly recommend RAK for a week’s break, especially if you feel Dubai is simply OTT.

peter19
    Participant

glad you had a great trip dutchyankee and the travel went well.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls