Raffles Singapore

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• HongKongLady
    Participant

I am booked to stay at Raffles shortly, a hotel I have always wanted to stay at. I have previously stayed at their property in Siem Reap and loved it.
    Any tips ?

MrMichael
    Participant

I guess from me only the obvious HongKongLady, a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar. I have never stayed there either, but popped in for a drink.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Who would have thought a lowly East India Company clerk would one day lend his name to a luxury hotel in a formerly insignificant island, which he founded in a sneaky way to break the Dutch spice trade monopoly?

Tramor01
    Participant

The nice thing about Raffles is that there are quiet areas of the hotel which aren’t open to the general public as the Hotel is at times awash with tourists

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Raffles is owned by Accor now, along with Swissotel and Farirmont, settled about two weeks ago.
    They are bookable on the Accor website and will be integrated into their brands in the coming months.

Cashsuds
    Participant

Rooms are basic and rather Spartan. Ok if you like living amongst relics!
    Raffles Singapore is overrated. Good if you have never stayed there, but I will be surprised if you will continue to stay there multiple times!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=730668]Rooms are basic and rather Spartan. Ok if you like living amongst relics!
    Raffles Singapore is overrated. Good if you have never stayed there, but I will be surprised if you will continue to stay there multiple times![/quote]

HongKongLady

I cannot disagree more with the above comment. I am headed to Singapore soon myself, am there for 12 days annually and always stay either in Raffles or opposite in Fairmont dependent on my work load. I’ve recommended Raffles to literally hundreds of people all of whom rave about the experience.

My 1st tip would be to request their Daimler to collect you from the airport, they have the spectacular JeyQuay experience, email them and ask about it. Second tip, ask concierge at check in if you can book a guided tour of the property, the history of the hotel truly brings it to life and gives you a fantastic insight into what makes Raffles so special.

A Sling in the Long Bar is an annual tradition of mines, and yes it is packed and as touristy as it gets, but hey-ho, such is the nature of something so famous.

Afternoon tea is spectacular, and Sunday Brunch even more so. The pool is an oasis of calm amid the skyscrapers of Singapore and I guarantee you will not find more courteous or helpful staff.

I don’t know what type of suite you are in, I normally go for the Courtyard Suite which is spacious, comfortable and quiet. Your butler will be able to explain all to you on arrival,.

One last tip, when you exit Raffles by the side door (where the Long Bar is), there’s a restaurant directly opposite called “Salt Tapas”, go here one night for dinner, it is another favourite of mines, by chef Luke Mangan great tapas. (Coriander Leaf restaurant in Chijmes is also very very good)

Enjoy Raffles for what it is, a sensational experience.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

2 users thanked author for this post.

JohnHarper
    Participant

The other thing I always enjoy at Raffles is the Tiffin Room at lunch time. There are an amazing selection of curries and accompaniments. Just remember not to eat for the rest of the day!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s been a longtime since I stayed there but it was fabulous even then and the Long Bar was on the ground floor with access to the garden – it’s how the tiger got in!

When I was last there the bar I saw the bar had been moved to the first floor, the tiger’s head was gone to be replaced by an ad for Tiger Beer, the floor was covered in peanut shells (it seems it was the in thing to do!!!) and it was jam packed with tourists.

While the hotel may be lovely it has become a tourist trap and shopping centre and for that reason alone I’d no longer stay there.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=733774]While the hotel may be lovely it has become a tourist trap and shopping centre and for that reason alone I’d no longer stay there.[/quote]

You are indeed correct LP that the Long Bar is now on floor 1, this was done to keep the hotel, and its guests, private. If you try to access the hotel via the main entrance, as a non-resident, they will politely decline you access and direct you to the Long Bar, so the only “touristy” bit is the bar itself, hardly surprising given the world reputation of the Singapore Sling.

I’ve also stayed in Marina Bay Sands and loathed the whole experience, too big and soul-less and one of the few places in Asia I’ve not had great service – in almost all of their outlets.

I remain a huge fan of Raffles, next to the Negresco, my favourite hotel in the world.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

PS Peanut shells is the tradition dating back to when the bar opened, to create more atmosphere and noise they / you chuck the shells on the floor of the bar, has been happening as long as the Long Bar has been there. I once sat at the bar and made a little pile beside my Sling only for a passing server to swipe them onto the floor.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Big thank you to everyone for your opinions and tips. I have always wanted to stay in Raffles Singapore, so I am thrilled that the time is fast approaching. I am in a court yard suite so I will have a butler whom I may wish to take home with me !

icenspice
    Participant

Enjoy Hong Kong Lady!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls