R5 live interview with Ryan O’Learyair

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

canucklad
    Participant

Brilliant, arrogant defence of his airline

Priceless comical attack on the government and enviromentalists

Total irish craich

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Canucklad

would love to see it. Can you add a link to a replay?

canucklad
    Participant

Will keep an eye on the i player

canucklad
    Participant

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Thank you. Very good to listen to. I must say he is a right charmer in the flesh isn’t he – all reasonableness.

I personally choose not to fly Ryanair, but I think the airline world is a richer place for them. Or, to misquote Voltaire, “I disagree with what his airline does, but I will defend to the death his right to do it.”

Binman62
    Participant

Unless people stop using his airline he will continue to do what he does well, take money off them.

I found the interview funny partly because the BBC interviewers are soll ill prepared and unable to properly challenge. To raise issue about pinting boarding passes was futile as he is on solid foundations, where are the questions around low fuel uplift and an the number of fuel emergencies his airline declares.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Binman62 – it is always possible that people fly on his airline because they want to, because all in, and even with the negatives, they find it meets their needs.

There are many much worse business practices one could get upset about – the extraordinary cartel that the energy suppliers in the UK have (consumer prices go up when wholesale fuel prices go up but don’t come down when they come down), or the insurance industry’s contempt for car owners … and don’t let’s start on the banks. Ryanair has chosen a business model which works for them and works for most of their customers, and nobody has to use them if they don’t want to.

As for the interview itself, I agree with you. The BBC interviewers did not exactly push O’Leary hard. But then we don’t know if he made them agree beforehand that certain subjects were off the table and not for discussion.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What amazes me is that the regulatory authorities consider this man fit to run an airline.

He is more suited for a fast food restaurent, get em in, serve ’em, get em out & quick and forget about washing your hands after you’v been to the bathroom!

YUK !

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’m a fan of Ryanair.

It keeps the dross away from proper airlines!

Binman62
    Participant

Cedric, no argument with anything you say however if he does make demands on what can and cannot be discussed he should not be permitted on air. These interviews are less about obtaining understand and knowledge and more about self serving promotion.

canucklad
    Participant

Did any of you read my recent experiance with them on the flight review site….

It has to be said i would have liked to have asked him some more pertinent questions regarding safety and over charging, never mind customer service

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Ryanair-B737-800-Economy-6

All in all..love him or loathe him, he’s here for the forseeable future

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Ryanair is more valuable than BA, have a larger fleet, creating more jobs and expanding across the whole of the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20150776

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RYAAY

TominScotland
    Participant

VK, not sure that is actually the case. Flew down from Glasgow to Gatwick with BA this morning and the flight was dominated by a very loud and (even at 09.00) well oiled bevy of beauties off to celebrate one of their number’s 50th in Las Vegas. Maybe the same gang as entertained canucklad en route to Alicante……

That said, I am a regular user of Ryanair – perforce because, unlike the London-centric team who have other options, there are times when we provincials don’t!!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

VK

Albeit that you have dared utter what others might think but would not dare say, you are none-the-less incorrigible. Lest there be any confusion on this occasion, that is meant as a compliment!

Otherwise, I do recall a previous attempt at interviewing Ryan O’Blarney for the BBC TV “Panorama” programme. O’Blarney refused to give a formal interview unless he and his team had “full editorial control”. So, he was loosely talked to outside his offices wherever in Ireland during which he spent most of his time goading the BBC for their alleged biases against him and their own inaccuracies. To say that O’Blarney has a rhino hide and is pretty much without shame is to be grossly unkind to rhinos….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls