Questions for travelers using Jakarta (CGK) airport and Garuda

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Philippe
    Participant

Hello,

I would appreciate guidance of travelers using Jakarta Airport. I am flying from LHR to Jakarta via Singapore, using Singapore Airline. When I arrive in Jakarta, I have to clear the customs then I am planning to take a domestic plane (Garuda) to Lombok, which is 5h later. This domestic flight is on a complete separate ticket compared to the Singapore Airline flight.

As I would ideally like to have some rest whilst waiting for my Garuda flight, I am planning to use some of the lounges that are airside. Therefore, do anyone know when Garuda usually open their luggage check in? Do they have luggage check ins that are journey-specific and open e.g. 3h before the flight? Or can I check in my luggage at any Garuda counter, whatever time before my flight takes off?

Many thanks for your guidance!

cwoodward
    Participant

Garuda seem to change their policies as often as their flight schedules but the last time that I was there it was 3 hours
    There used to be A JW lounge at the domestic terminal (run by JW Marriott) that was open to the public.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jakarta based
    Participant

What time do you arrive in Jakarta ? I assume you’re arriving early morning on SQ?

If so no issue with checking in early for Garuda, they check in desks are open basically 24 hours, maybe closed for an hour or 2

There is a hotel in terminal 3 ( where you arrive and depart) which can be booked for short duration, I believe there is also a lounge, online booking is available via agoda

It will take you around one hour to 90 mins to get through passport and customs, including I assume pay for visa on arrival.

Honestly with 3 hours I would head to departures, there are plenty of cafes and some paid for lounges ( cash on entry)

There isn’t any Marriott managed lounges, I’ve been here 10 years and can’t remember any.

Enjoy Indonesia

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Hi.
    I used to use the LHR-CGK Garuda flight pre-covid in F or Biz.
    But as mentioned, they swap and change many times their flights, aircraft type, Policies and procedures.

In fact i am booked on a flight from LHR with AF via CDG, to SIN, then connect on Garuda to CGK in a few weeks time. It is on one ticket. It also cost half price to CGK than just SIN, or on to Bali!!!

Additionally, i flew Singapore Airlines on one ticket beginning of the year LHR- (3 day Stopover in Ams) AMS-SIN-KUL.
    On the return, I was connecting to KLM to London, though it was a separate ticket.
    I Informed KLM of the Singapore flights, and they put in the booking reference, so my KLM ticket showed all flights.
    I asked SQ and they did the same.
    As a result, they were happy to check me through on my return to the KLM flight onto London, separately ticketed.
    This despite SQ Policy, saying they will not check through due to separate Alliances!

You could always ask v nicely to SQ at Check in, and try at least to have them enter your connection into their booking system.
    As long as it is there, they will check your bags and you through.
    Malaysia Airlines do the same for KLM/AF connections. Or, simply show all the paperworks to them.
    They will not accept electronic presented. Paper counts in Asia.

Also, if you show you ongoing ticket, they can check yr bags through, so you avoid immigration and just connect.
    In searching, i noticed AF had a Biz fare of £1,850 return through from London Paris singapore Jakarta.
    If i had chosen Bali, it was£2, 950, and yesterday almost £4,800!!!

Often SQ to KUL, or further than singapore, an extra flight further, is half the price!
    Worth making a generic ( like ebookers), website search first, or looking at each day on a monthly view for various Airlines.
    KLM and AF will highlight the cheapest days, and it can be the day before or after where its half price!

It may add on an extra few hrs and a flight, but you will earn more Miles, and Membership Credits also to you FF program.
    Seperate tickets also enable a stopover which can be an extra benefit, with one ticket you would be charged much extra.

I have separate tickets from CGK to Sydney after a few days stopover with Malaysia Airlines Biz.
    It means CGK-KUL-SYD, but the extra “XP’s” membership points earned and miles, give me 2/3rds of the 300 Fling blue points to keep another, 9th year, of Platinum! Great all round for my view, and i save over £2,000 on a return to Oz, which has escalated tpo £5,500+ on any Airline now!!!

I hope that helps, but a call to SQ and Garuda Office before, to enter both bookings, and you will be sorted! You can always ask SQ to put it in, and then try at Check in, and show Garuda, which may persuade them at the time.

If the Lounges have not changed, they have a large Skyteam Lounge by Garuda, in the new Terminal, Priority Elite member Passports and Security, and an arrivals lounge to wait and have a drink, whilst they collect yr bags for you and bring them to you!
    They would even then assist if you had to go back and check in.
    V helpful, and a great new spacious Terminal at CGK.
    Garuda have a separate divide in the new Skyteam Terminal for most Domestic flights, so the Domestic Aircraft should be in the same Terminal.

Let us all know how you get on.
    Have a great trip.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls