Question re flight BA0015 to Syd

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

• nigelbrinklow
    Participant

I’ve got to say that it sounds like a nightmare. It’s very dissapointing, because when you read the BA website much is made of the peace and tranquility inside it’s lounges. I guess it’s all relative when compared with the “zoo” outside.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Although it doesn’t affect the BA lounge you can also add

2200 MH KUL 744
    2200 EK DXB 773
    2205 SQ SIN A380
    2205 CX HKG 744

So you get the idea of how mad the whole place is. Even getting from security to whichever lounge can be a challenge and the priority security lane can be as much a zoo as the normal ones.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Nigel sweet dont worry you will be fine honestly, sadly some of the guys on hear are just moaners and never satisfied and forget that most people get away without any real problems, remember you are only in a waiting room for a short time. If it is busy then it is good sign that you are flying with best. Let me know how you get on 😉 xx

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Becky, I think you’re right. Seem to be many “grumpy old men” on this forum. As a New Years resolution I shall attempt to only write good things about airlines, airports, security, hotels etc.

If we all follow my lead, I wonder how empty this forum will be ;-))

BusinessClass
    Participant

The SYD Qantas/One World BUSINESS lounge is not one of the best in the world IMO, unless it has been refurbished within the last year (if so then please correct me), but when I was there a year ago I thought it was rather tired. However the Qantas FIRST lounge is definitely up there with the best.
    The best lounge you will visit on your trip will be the BA Galleries Club lounge at LHR T3.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Becky

In this case, the ‘grumpy old men’ call it right.

I am not a heavy user of T3, which is why I left it to others who are, to comment.

But my experiences have aligned with what others have said. On the shower front (which Binman mentions), I was nearly scalded by hot water in the showers in the BA, during one of the problems, when the cold water supply failed mid shower and I had to literally jumpt throught the door to escape.

Yes, Nigel will survive, but it will not be an experience like T5, where the lounges are excellent and usually feel comfortable (not over occupied.)

Maybe time for you to travel a bit more before criticising some of the guys on here who have flown literally millions of miles over the years, for telling the truth? The message on here is negative because the experience is negative, it is as simple as that.

nigelbrinklow
    Participant

Thanks again to everyone who’s replied. As I’m not using the lounges as a business pax, I feel confident from the responses that, for the few hours I’ll be in them, they will be fine for me. They certainly sound a lot more appealing than what lies outside in the terminal! Lol.

It also sounds like I will have time to visit the lounge in SIN to have a shower and a freshen up before the 2nd sector. Thanks also for the tip re paying for an upgrade on one of the sectors. I’ll certainly think about it for LHR – SIN.

I flew the LCY – JFK flight last Sept and loved it [flew back Club to LHR]. It will be interesting to compare and to see if there has been any improvement in the much-hyped “improved” in-flight service.

Cheers everyone

Nigel

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Nigel

As a fallback, in case you find the BA lounge to have standing room only, there is an alternative

http://www.no1traveller.com/heathrow-airport-lounge-terminal-3.htm?gclid=CO__uIX36q0CFaEntAodNy1j5A

If you have a DIners Card or Priority Pass, you may have free access otherwise it is 30 pounds on the door.

I have not used this location, but regularly use #1 at Gatwick and it is very good indeed.

FlewTooFew
    Participant

Going off topic slightly…
    Does anyone know why BA don’t let Qantas fly from T5?

I would have thought 3 (?) flights a day by a Qantas aircraft wouldn’t detract too much from the “BA only” impression and having an A380 flight would look good in terms of marketing?

Or have I missed something obvious…?

BeckyBoop
    Participant

BA’s a380 come in at the end of the year, i dont knwo why they dont put all those longhaul flights (bkk,syd sin etc) out of T5 peopls pay enough for them and it is a nicer experience anyone know why? xx

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

I think one of the issues about Qantas using T5 for their flight is a lack of capacity on the stands, so moving the Qantas flights in would mean moving more flights out to T3.

Binman62
    Participant

When first designed and built T5 was for the exclusive use of BA. This was something they fought long and hard for. I know there has been chatter recently about JAL but that has gone quiet.

Keeping the JSA together was sensible to a point but given that BA need to compete with SQ on the route I have always thought that it was a mistake to operate BA’s services from the dump that is T3.

BA OZ flights are not loved by senior staff at BA as they have in the past been pretty low yeild routes. F class return fare is still less than JFK and the costs per mile to customers is relatively low. Only Eddington as CEO increased flights by re introducing MEL and there were always rumours that it was because he came from there. The route was pulled as soon as he left!

The JSA where by BA and QF carve up the route to OZ allows for them to share revenue. It is fair to say that is the most successful joint venture in aviation and has brought them both financial benefits. These will be further enhanced as a result of the reductions in capacity which will kick in March and which will see job loses at QF in LHR and significant increases in fares.

I have yet to see any benefits whatever to customers. The carriers operate out of T3 and it is awful. The lounges in T3 whilst very good lack the style and panache of T5. Things do not work…frequently, and the pre flight dining in T3 is one of the saddest places on earth. So many tables have just 1 seat and face outwards.

SIN and BKK lounges are overcrowded with the SIN First lounge full of QF card holders flying on Jetstar!! It was once an Oasis of calm but is a transit camp today. Most regulars use the Business class lounge. The BKK lounge is just poor. Sydney is the exception and the First lounge is spectacular and the food and service top notch.

In BKK and SIN the staff work together often having two uniforms and the act and behave as one firm.

In London and Sydney BA and QF hardly speak to one another and in LHR at least, getting BA ticket desk to do anything with a QF passenger, even if holding a BA code share ticket, is almost impossible. The relationships have been mismanaged by QF in LHR very badly for many years and the move to T3 has seen things deteriorate further.

They have different system and procedures and QF is certainly not going to change to fit in with BA’s modus operandi in T5. For example excess baggage is still by the kilo on QF but per bag on BA. This is a major issue if you are a BA passenger, used to BA ways and get booked on a BA flight number but operated by QF.

QF 747 have a slide not a flat bed (will be fully flat but only after March when 747 taken off the route.

So, different policies and procedures, different products, no relationship on the ground…….. A joint venture ????….. In T5…..I think hell will freeze over first!!!

FlewTooFew
    Participant

Thanks Binman, seems the “joint service” sounds better on paper than it is on the ground!

davidc67
    Participant

The Club Class lounge is O.k.with usually plenty of room.There is often a long walk to the gate and NO evidence of priority boarding so you have to go to the front of the queue and show your boarding pass. After about 15th.March,you will not have the chouice of the Bangkok flight(thank goodness as I had problems 3 times in 2009 and Dwecember/January.)

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Discusted hun, on the shower front you have to remember BA only rent the facility of BAA who is the landlord and not BA’s fault. I cant find the thread but Vintage krug explained the whole thing before. Yes you lot most likely have travelled more than me and different views are important like i have issues with LT and SW trains but you lot are not the only BA customers 🙂 lots of love and big hug Bex xx

Binman sweety IAG last year did approach Qantas to join forces but they sadly declined, but i am sure that would of fixed some of the ground issues xx

Vintage krug babe wherever you are please help me out ;( xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls