Question mark hangs over Monarch as Qatar Airways A320s arrive in London.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

Sad to see them go – they had a pretty good reputation. CAA seems well organized on this – quite impressive.(I imagine they did have some warning, though…)

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[quote quote=829329]BBC reporting that Monarch has indeed ceased trading and all flights cancelled.

CAA will be setting up rescue flights to collect those abroad already.

Turns out that those who booked flights directly with Monarch Airlines since 15th December 2016 have no ATOL protection and need to claim from credit card providers etc. They kept that quiet….

[/quote]

Flights only are not ATOL protected. ATOL is a Tour Operator’s insurance and covers packaged tours / holidays. No secret.

I write as someone booked on Monarch this afternoon from BHX to FAO. Not been notified about cancellation yet, but Mrs. F and I are now booked on FR from Luton this evening. Just got to tell Europcar their car is going somewhere else.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

DanielRawson – [quote quote=829334]If Qatar are doing the repatriation flights on behalf of the UK government, it will be interesting to see what happens with the Tel-Aviv routes.[/quote]

QR is not the only airline undertaking rescue flights.

Reports I have seen indicate there are a few other aircraft coming from AirTransat, Easyjet and HiFly. Maybe others too.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=829341]
    Flights only are not ATOL protected. ATOL is a Tour Operator’s insurance and covers packaged tours / holidays. No secret.
    [/quote]

Any seat only bookings before 16th December 2016 were ATOL protected.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=829355]DanielRawson –

If Qatar are doing the repatriation flights on behalf of the UK government, it will be interesting to see what happens with the Tel-Aviv routes.

QR is not the only airline undertaking rescue flights.

Reports I have seen indicate there are a few other aircraft coming from AirTransat, Easyjet and HiFly. Maybe others too.

[/quote]

Titan Airlines have been contracted to do the repatriation. They are doing some themselves and subcontracting to others. One of the airlines they have contracted to is BA who in turn are using QR.

capetonianm
    Participant

Very sad, a good airline, I used them a handful of times over the years, mainly in and out of BHX. Not terribly reliable but they always seemed to care about their passengers and take pride in their reputation.

I hope those who will lose their jobs will secure good employment elsewhere, preferably not with Mr. O’Leary.

canucklad
    Participant

Yep, I echo capetonianm. First thoughts are with the staff losing their jobs, and then with people who have to (hopefully & successfully) rebook holidays todays.

Also kudos to the CAA, who seem to be ahead of the game and are able to reassure those abroad to continue their holiday.

Plus, they were a good airline with happy proud staff.

bluemooner
    Participant

So there are X number of Monarch pilots now out of work.
    Ryanair has X number of planes with no pilots.
    Could Ryanair’s bad planning!! be about to rescued???

esselle
    Participant

Bluemooner

The answer is no.

Monarch operate an all Airbus fleet, Ryanair an all Boeing fleet.

SimonS1
    Participant

Sounds like there are some teething issues here. From the BBC:

“Me, my wife, our 13-month son were supposed to return to LGW from Mahon, Menorca today. Four phone calls to the CAA told us not get our transfer from hotel to airport until a new flight was scheduled. The flight ZB 763 was supposed to leave at 12:40 local time.

“The CAA advertised the new flight details approx 11:25, 75 mins before departure, giving us no time to get to the airport following their instructions to not go to the airport originally (their website and automated phone system says the same thing – don’t go until new flight details confirmed).

“We are now stuck in Ciutadella, checked out of the hotel and don’t know what we’re supposed to do. The CAA haven’t called back despite saying they would. We have nowhere to stay tonight and no idea when we’re going back. Shocking service.”

Still shifting 100,000 people is a major job.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

Hi Bluemooner. I don’t think so as most of the Monarch pilots are Airbus type rated and as such will need to undergo some form of conversion program. I think that the more likely outcome is the Wizzair or EasyJet will take up the aircraft leases and pilots to capitalize on some of the routes that Monarch had flown with relatively limited competition such as Gibraltar for instance. I doubt that many pilots would happily move to Ryanair after all what has happened over the past few weeks. Most likely is that airlines will cherry pick the routes (EasyJet/Wizzair) and slots (Norwegian) out of Gatwick, Manchester, Luton and Birmingham.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Monarch Aircraft Engineering (MAEL) signed a maintenance contract for Virgin Atlantic’s B787s just a few days ago.

I understand that MAEL is unaffected.

https://www.monarchaircraftengineering.com/news/monarch-secures-virgin-atlantic-as-a-new-customer

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Rescue flights could cost £60 million according to CAA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41477267

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t think all the £60 million will be borne by the government, as they will be able to claim back under ATOL policies, some insurance policies and credit card companies.

I feel sorry for the people being bullied into paying for accommodation or being threatened with arrest. I can’t speak about Turkey, but I doubt they would be incarcerated in Spain, Portugal or Italy. I know I would take a stand and refuse, as would likely many on the Forum, but when you have little travel experience, no language experience and are being vociferously threatened, I can understand some do pay up. I think the hotelier would rather get paid now than wait for the liquidator to pay out – if there’s any money left.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Why cant the liquidator / administrator use Monarch’s assets and claim money back from who ever is funding the repatriation of trapped passengers? They have the pilots / staff / aircraft…………..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls